Neurology Community
45k Members

Itchy, periodic, bee stinging sensations all over body?

Hi, I wasn't quite sure of what topic to put this under, so I think neurology is the closest, if not, the right one.

Ok, so for ages, like maybe 2 years now. I have been experiencing these Itchy-bee-sting like sensations all over my body, and when I say all over my body, I don't mean all at the one time, it's more of a periodic type of sensation that just 'pops' up in different places around my body, for example; I just had one on my leg, then 5 seconds later I got one on my stomach, and then my foot. These prickle/stings that I feel do not have any visual symptoms, such as bumps rash, etc. It's just invisible pain "literally the feeling that a bee just stung me real quick". Right now, it is 1:52 AM and I am awake because these stings are too intense, and can not be ignored, no matter how tired I am. I take anti-histamines (claratyne) and it doesn't seem to rid them, not even in the slightest. These 'stings' have been going on for 4 days now and I have lost so much sleep. They don't seem to go away, not even for a little bit during the day. I'm really not sure as to what is causing them, like I can’t think of a trigger, maybe my soaps? Who knows, but all the soaps I use are soap free. When these 'sting-things' happen, I feel I have to scratch them for them to go away, or it turns into an intense sting, it just gets really strong and painful and then slowly tapers off.
Please help me, when I explain this to my GP, he says he has never heard such a thing!
Any insight would be great, thanks kindly, Samantha.
Hi, There can be several reasons of your generalized body numbness or stinging feeling although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely your symptoms could be due to peripheral neuropathy such as injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal/peripheral nerves (neuropathy),diabetic or alcoholic neuropathy,  vitamin deficiency ( esp. Vitamin B12, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.
Thank-you very kindly. Your advice is very much appreciated. I will mention those things to my Dr next time i make a visit. Thanks again, Samantha.
Did you every find out what was causing this stinging sensation. Bc I have the same exact thing happening to me. I see this post was years ago. But I would love to know if u figured it out. Bc I have no idea!!  Thanks for any info.  Hope u are better!!
I had this same problem with stinging sensation around the body.
Tests showed B-12 deficiency.  
If your stomach does not produce Intrinsic Factor, you can not absorb B-12 from food or supplements and you get nerve injury due to that.  
You need B-12 shots once a month, that is the only cure and it will take some time for the nerve injury to recover and the body to have sufficient B-12, so you should expect it to take a while before your symptoms subside.
I have something similar to what Samantha has described above.  My allergist gave me a prescription for Xyzal to fight it, thinking it was hives.  They last about 2 hrs at a time, but there are no visible hives-just bee sting like itch-pains.  Mine happen bilaterally too. Usually they are on the underside of my arms, and if on one side, then it will be on the other.  My nerves get horrible emotionally as this happens. I will scream at anyone who tries to even talk to me sometimes... It happens on my waist-again both sides.  It's always like that. I feel I have to scratch it, but if I do, it goes nuts, and spreads even more.  Then after a couple of hours it goes away.  While it happens, it's unbearable. Usually for the rest of the day I feel wiped out, but my skin will be hypersensitive to touch for hours.   I have Celiac Disease too, so that may help to know.  It seems to be related to what I eat.  Do you have any suggestions on how to make this stop?  Thanks!
Hey, can i just say, that celiacs disease can cause those itchy stings. And also, if you wish to get an answer to your question, your better off writting your own question, then using mine, because Dr's rarely read back through the same post once they have answered it!

Take care.
Thanks for the advice.  I'll post it separately.  Hope your symptoms go away soon!  
You take care too,
Gabbi
Thanks, mine finaly ceased the other day, after having them NON-STOP! For 2 weeks straight! It was so bad, i lost sooo much sleep! It was horrible! I am so scared they will come back, i get them allot. The only way i could sleep every night was by taking 3 sleeping pills & even then, sometimes they wouldn't work because the itches were so bad!

Hope u too find a 'cure'!
With me it usually happens when I exercise--not always though.  Sometimes it just happens.  But frequently it's after I get home from the gym.   It's horrible.  I was told it was probably hives, but there are no hives.  It seems more like a nerve thing to me.  Hope yours or mine never come back again!!!
Yeah, yours actually could be a heat allergy, they are quite common after doing a work out when you get warm and hot! ...I have noticed that they get really bad for me after i go out for a suntan, so maybe we both have heat allergies. Weird hay! Who would of thought that people can have ann allergy to heat!?
I have had symptoms exactly like Sammycum's for about 13 years now, gradually getting worse.  At first it was a few times a month, then gradually more often, usually at night, until finally it was every day, day and night, off and on.  

About six months ago I also started getting a periodic all-over stinging sensation, kind of like stinging nettle or tiny cactus prickles, along with the intense sudden itch described above at random places all over, and occasionally stinging sensations like ant bites or being poked with a needle.  

It is not an allergy (does not respond to antihistimines) and there is no rash or skin discoloration).  Blood tests show that it does not involve the liver, and there is no diabetes.  It is helped by Lyrica, which is also used for shingles and neuropathy in diabetics, so the official diagnosis (by my GP) is neurogenic itch, but we don't know the cause or cure.  

I am finally seeing an alternative practitioner and am trying such things as a parasite cleanse and homeopathic preparations.  I think exercise has also helped.  I will add more if and when I get results from the alternative treatments that I am trying.  Meantime, Lyrica definitely helps, especially at night so I can sleep.
OMGoodness u just described what I'm experiencing right this minute.  I do have Osteoarthritis and I do go to a rheumatologist and I have taken gabapentin but on when we it's really cold here in Alabama and that's not until January thru March.  So reading this I know I'm not going crazy.  Great page for this info
Thanks for your reply, i started to lean towards a nervous system cause of my "stings" as there just purely wasn't any other cause. I feel like i have MS, but all my MRI's are normal....i gave up looking for answers! I hope yours eases a little.
Take care, Sammy

Ps this is my new account, i don't use sammycung anymore.
x
I have similar symptoms but only in abdominal part of my body, i am just wondering if you found something that may make it better
I have been having these same stinging episodes within the last week for the first time. that's why i googled it and found this thread. it makes sense that it's the nerves bc my neck was out and i learned long ago how to gently place the C2 and C3 back into joint. The stings stopped for the night. It's 3 days later and i have a 'crick' in my neck and i'm stinging in lots of places on my body, random in appearance and very annoying. i'm grateful to know it's 'something' but not related to my liver bc i'm at a Cancer Center about to go thru a bone marrow transplant and they've found nothing in my liver. An enzyme was increased but is not decreasing and transplant is back on schedule. This tells me in might be a pinched nerve as someone mentioned above. But also glad to hear someone might have a name for it 'neurgenic itch'.