Neurology Forum

LEFT FACIAL dysesthesia/paresthesia

Dear Sirs,

My wife 32 y.o, has, since more then two months, a paresthesia/dysestesia on the left side of the face, exactly and exclusively on the zone v3 of the trigeminal nerve.
This paresthesia started almost suddenly: in few days was on the complete v3 zone.
Since a couple of weeks seems that is getting better and better and now is only on a smaller part of the v3 zone and she feel the pare/dysesthesia almost only when she get nervous or stressed.
It worth also to say that my wife has hepex simplex ,mostly on the mouth and nose.
She had a complete neurological examination that did not showed any other problem, but the neurologist send her also to make an MRI and we are waiting the results.

What do you think about this symptoms, do we have to be concerned or could be pre trigeminal neuralgia ?

Thank you,

Alberto

I would agree with the MRI of the brain. This could be secondary to the herpes virus, could be a form of trigeminal neuralgia, or due to a problem in the brainstem, which is the lower part of the brain. I can not determine from the history alone which of these is possible, but the MRI will help. Wish I could be more specific. Good luck
I'm a 36 year old female who had same symptoms beginning about six months ago along with a breakout of HSV-1 on lip.  Had brain MRI and a few blood tests...all were normal.  Neurologic exam normal. The tingling is almost completely gone, but I also noticed it when stressed.  Doctor attributes to anxiety.  My mother died of a brain tumor this year.  She was 54.  I do have
health anxiety.
Alberto:

Please let us know her results.
WHY you are so interested. Do you have the same problem?
Just concerned and curious, for the most part.  I don't have pain in my face but, I have burning on my face.... like a bad sunburn.  It's very miserable.  I'd like to know what causes face arasthesias.

Sherry
the paresthesia is not actually a pain feeling; is more a strange sensation on  part of the left side of the face . Is like after an injection of novocaine at the dentist when the effect is going away. I think it can be said also as "tingling".
This paresthesia was exclusively on a precise part of the face; is now going away and she never suffered other problem like, head hache , visual, harms or legs problems or other.
thank you for your information, it`s very usefull because
is being a quite stressy period also for my wife.

Alberto

Alberto
Let me know what you find out.  My case is so similar.  It was also on the left side and started suddenly one day.  The tingling was originally over the trigeminal nerve distribution, but eventually I felt it only under my left eye to the side of my nose.  Should also say... I discovered I had a sinus infection some months later on same side and the doctor said that could also contribute.  It's possible to have a sinus infection and not know it.  Good luck.
We had today the results of the MRI: nothing serius is showed, thanks God.
The neuro said that is difficult to say what it is because from the mri there is not blood vessel that compress the nerve or other sort of problems on it.
It`s likely to go away alone because the numbness is decreasing.
So finally they does not know at the moment what it is/was.
My personal opinion is that could be like an atypical trigeminal neuralgia but I m not a medic.
We will see the developments.

ciao.
So glad to hear MRI is normal.
I too have facial numbness...also various tingling and numbness on diff. parts of my body. My left leg feels "heavy."  I temporarily lost vision in imy left eye (same side of my face that is numb.) My balance is off and I have fatigue, along with a spastic bladder. I have suffered depression for most of my life.   MRI shows "small lesions on rt. side of frontal lobe."  Bloodwork is all normal, no diseases or thyroid trouble.  urology tests show that spaticity in bladder is neurological.  Next test is a lumbar puncture...my neurologist is hesitant about an MS diagnosis until spinal tap rules out any infections not showing in the blood, because the MRI is not "distinct", even though she said there are small lesions...is this normal? ( I couldn't post a question, so I did it here...sorry..I am very nervous...no one wants to be straight with me.)
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease