Neurology Community
45k Members

Left Basal Ganglia mild stroke

My husband is a Gulf War Veteran and has been diagnosed with progressive dementia.. he is about to turn 40.

He collapsed at home a few weeks ago, with confusion & memory loss etc..  When we were at the ER they did a CT scan and it showed that he had previously had a mild stroke in the left basal ganglia area.  This was reconfirmed at the VA hospital with another CT scan.

We know this had to have happen within the last 6 months as that is when his last MRI was done (he also has cerebral atrophy).  I went to Australia to pick up my 14 yo daughter prior to his collapse and was gone 3 weeks.  He seemed to be okay before I left, but when I got back, he was not the same.

I am wondering if anyone has information that could help me in the future, as this has scared me really bad.  He also has recently (last month or so) had eye problems.  They said it was infection at first, but nothing is helping it, and now it is worse.  Is this part of the stroke he had?

Due to his young age, we are having trouble getting the correct resources and knowledge.  He does have a wonderful Neurologist at the VA hospital, but even she is at a loss.

I would appreciate any comments/information on this, or of hearing about someone in a similar position.

Feel free to email me at:
***@****

Thanks,

Deb Meiring OH