This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Leg Muscle Pain/Tightness

  : I am a 52 year old male. I generally consider myself to be in good health. I am about 5'10" and 170lbs. I am a runner and I have been running for almost 25 years. I usually run about 4 to 5 miles a day. During the last two years I have experienced some symptoms which I have heard are related to a type of cold or flu like virus which settles in the muscles.
  : : Last Winter I began to feel a tightness in one my thigh muscles. The pain intensified over a couple of weeks. I was still able to keep my running up , however, the symptoms became worse. The muscle tightness was accompanied by a constipation, and a nausea usually in the morning. During my morning run the muscle tightness would lessen as I warmed up. After my runs it would return. The symptoms lasted several weeks or close to 60 days before it subsided. I also suffered a loss of sexual appetite over this period of time.
  : : This Spring I suffered the same symptoms. This time the muscle tightness started in my right leg and lasted from April through mid June. There were tmes when the symptoms seemed to move from one area to another. My thigh muscle would be tight and then subside. It seemed that another muscle in my back or leg would tighten up for a period of time and the pain would return to the orginal area. I don't believe this is related to any muscle strain from running. I have been running a long time and I always stretch and warm up before my runs.
  : : I have heard that there are cold and flu symptoms which can settle into a muscle and last for months.
It's hard to say what this is. The fact that you've had it twice without significant weakness (just pain) makes me suspect that it's not an inflammatory myopathy. The fact that you've been running for 25 years and are in good physical condition makes a metabolic myopathy unlikely. Is it a viral syndrome? Could be.
Perhaps the best thing to do is to be seen by a neuromuscular diseases specialist (a type of neurologist). After careful evaluation, you can be advised whether this is something benign or not. perhaps some advice can be given regarding treatment for the discomfort.
I wish I could be more specific. You are welcome to call 800 223-2273 and ask for 4-5559 (neurology appointments). Tell them you want to be seen by a neuromuscular specialist.
I hope this helps. CCF MD mdf.

Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Request an Appointment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now