Neurology Community
45k Members

Leg pain & numbness in foot

I had an MRI today because I fell down the stairs in my home and have shooting pains in my right leg.  Originally I went to my Chrioprator and he took an xray and it showed that I fractured my sacrum. Then I went to the ER and they took an MRI I am wondering how concerned should I be with this???

Technique:  T1, STIR and T2 - weighted sagittal, T! and T2 weighted axial images of the lumbosacral spine are obtained.  

Findings:  The lumbar vertebra appear normal in height, alignment and signal characteristics.

T11-T12 Level:  Degenerative Disc disease and a 0.4 cm posterior disc protrusion and mild facet joint osteoarthritis resulting in mild spinal stenosis.  There is no significant nerve root foraminal stenosis.  

T12-L1 and L1-L2 Level:  Minimal posterior disc bulges.  There is no significant spinal canal nerve root foraminal stenosis.

L2-L3 Level:  There is a 0.3 cm right paracentral and posterolateral disc protrusion which results in mild stenosis of the right lateral recess and right nerve root foramen.  There is no significant stenosis of the spinal canal or left nerve root foramen.

L3-L4 Level:  There is a 0.5 cm left paracentral disc protrusion or small extrusion into the left lateral recess.  There is moderate stenosis of the left lateral recess.  There is no significant stenosis of the spinal canal or nerve root foramen.  

L4-L5 Level:  There is a 0.8 x 1.2 cm right paracentral disc extrusion into the right lateral recess.  There is bilateral facet joint osteoarthritis and small posterior lateral endplate osteophytes.  This results in severe stenosis of the right lateral recess.  There is mild stenosis of the nerve root foramen.

L5-S1 Level:  There is a 0.4 cm posterior and right and left posterior lateral disc protrusion and facet joint osteoarthritis.  There is no significant spinal stenosis.  There is moderate stenosis of the nerve root foramen.  

There is no paraspinous mass or intradural mass.  The conus medullaris ends at the level of L1 and appears unremarkable.

Impressions
1.  There is a right paracentral disc extrustion at the L4-L5 level resulting in severe stenosis of the right lateral recess.  The right L5 nerve root is likely compromised.  
2. Moderate stenosis of the nerve root of the nerve root foramen at the L5-S1 level secondary to posterior lateral disc protrusions and facet joint osteoarthritis.  
3.  Moderate stenosis of the left lateral recess at the L3-L4 level secondary to the left paracentral disc protrution.  
4.  Mild stenosis of the right lateralrecess and nerve root foramen at the L2-L3 level secondary to the right paracentral disc protrution.

You are having problems from compression of the nerves coming from your lumbar area.

The issue is what to do about this?

I believe your chiropractor is operating out of his pay grade.

Go to the website of Dr. Jerome Groopman. He isn't selling anything, but he has a reprint from the New Yorker on his opinions on dealing with nerve pain issues from lumbar damage.

Obtain and Read Dr. Groopman's book titled "A Second Opinion", and his other book "How a Doctor Thinks". Both have chapters concerning differences of opinion regarding spinal surgery for this problem, - the pros and the cons.