Neurology Community
45k Members

Lightheaded, brain fog...Not right

Hello everyone, 25/M

About a year ago I began experiencing some strange sensations which I sometimes have trouble finding the words to describe, but their presence is definitely there regardless. In a nutshell my symptoms seem to be fatigue, lightheadedness, "brain fog", trouble focusing, numbness and generally just feeling disconnected. I'm "not there" so to speak, both physically and mentally. I can still function in my daily life, but doing anything that requires real thought (including conversation) is very hard sometimes and it's sort of like my mind and body have been numbed and covered in novocain. I feel stoned and like things just aren't really hitting me so to speak. There are times when it's hard to even focus my eye sight on anything, as all my eyes want to do is drift off and blankly stare in to the middle distance while my head shuts. I'm like a zombie and talking to people is like struggling through improv. It doesn't feel natural and life is sort of like reading the words out of a book and understanding what they mean, but not quite having them quite connect. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy, or that I'm not even a real person...but again, it's hard to describe. I also have fatigue, which hits me very hard toward the end of the day (along with dizzy spells) and all I want to do is crash in my bed when I get home from work. I've also suddenly developed large bags/circles under my eyes over the last year, but I'm not sure how that could be related.

I've had every type of bloodwork done which all came back normal as did my EEG. This has brought me to the conclusion that it has to be something "mental" as opposed to physical, but whether that's anxiety, ADD, depression, depersonalization, post traumatic stress disorder or something else is hard to say. I tried taking Lexapro for a short while which may have helped a bit, but I stopped about a month in since it completely killed my libido and that wasn't even remotely acceptable to me.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? Is this all in my head or are there physical disorders that can result in these feelings? My only other lead is that I started feeling this way shortly after I moved in to my new apartment, so it's possible there's some sort of mold that's making me have problems. I also feel somewhat better when I visit my parents out of state for a week, but that could very well just be in my head or a result of lessened anxiety...Who knows. I just need help and I honestly don't know what else to ask.

Hi, u didn't mention headaches so I will assume u do not have ne.U said u had blood work done...did u have ur thyroid checked as well as ur vitamin B12, nad D levels...also magnessium and potassium.

Some of the low levels of minerals and vitamins can cause some of the symptoms u describe.Please see ue dr to be sure u r replacing the right vitamins and minerals....at the right doseage.

Did u mention to ur dr about the move?....if there was new carpet...sometimes there is an odor from the chemicals used in the making of the carpet.

See ur PC again and explain all to him/her.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
No, I don't have headaches...which seems to rule a lot of things out I guess. I've had my thyroid checked and it came back normal and I take a multivitamin.
I do understand how you feel dear.I have been feeling also so strange for almost 7 months now,I was having trouble in my head-->HEAVINESS and Slight Dizziness to be exact. I can perform my ADL's but still deep w/in I know something is wrong. had a lot of tests (ECG, blood chems,CT scan, cervical xray) though and all revealed a normal result.I consulted an internist, an optha,ENT and Neuro.They said I am healthy.Nothing is wrong.Still I am not at ease.In your case, Just relax and consult a physician.Whenever I am feeling unwell,I usually surf the net and look/research for my symptoms and guess what?Definitely I end up being paranoid and I feel like the things I saw in the net is already manifesting into my system.*****:)Anyway, I just wanna say that if all the tests revealed a normal result, there is nothing to worry.You are healthy.Good Luck to us.
Hi.
Your symptoms and observations are close to Multiple Chemical Sensitivity symptoms.Please follow Dr.Sherry A.Rogers,M.D. protocol in her book Detoxify or Die
ISBN1-887202-04-8;
What is mUltiple Chemical Sensitivity SymP?
thank god i found u. i have brain fog. always.i feel stoned all the time. so i smoke weed to give me a reason for y i feel like this .i live in a dream state all the time. i look at my hands while im working and wonder how their doing what their doing.am i doing it or what. u have anxiety.try lorazapan.my voice doesnt feel like mine.im a mess .i always feel like im in turmoil.and somethings wrong. dont let others tell u your crazy. we will b laughing when they get it ,and they will.
HI...I saw that u take a multi vitamin...that doesn't mean u could have a low level od B12 or D...if ur body is not absorbing the suppliments correctly it can cause a problem....and the items I mentioned were because u did not mention headaches....low levels of vitamins and minerals can cause dizzyness and numbness....brain fog too.

I hope u find the answers soon!

Godspeed
"selma"
Hi,I am a 40 year old healthy female with onset of the exact same symptoms. It is very hard to explain. Lightheaded? Maybe. But not faint. Feeling  high is how I to desribe . I Feel weird. disconnected. Symptoms are always there but elevate with activity. Even light activity. Conversation can increase the feelings. Things just dont look right, I to have felt I am going crazy. I do not believe it is caused by anxiety or depression, i think it is causing me anxiety because its always there And every test was negative. I had MRI.EEG,MRA, CAt scans, ECHO blood work.. you name it. Today I did get my vitaminD checked  and it is very low. What that means. Right now I do not know. I AM  NOT DIZZY as people want it to be. I feel for you and I am glad to know other people experience this because it is scary. I went to an endocrinologist today and she did ask me about carpet, new floors, new move anything new. You should definilty consider the move. My symptoms have been going on for 8 wks solid and on./off  for a year.  I feel disconnected as you but I do not have the fatigue. at least I think I do not. I work 10 hours without issue and I am in the medical field. i see patients all day. I am not going to stop until I figure this out. It has to be physical to be daily. I am open to the idea of mental but what? A drug can make you feel better but that dooesnt mean its from depression. I have never been depressed. a little moody.. Yes.... I will keep in touch. I am starting a Vit. D supplement. Have you had your neck looked at? You should,Could be a a cervical vertigo type thing without the dizzy feeling. i have had my necked worked on 3 or 4 times and Im not posiitive yet but i felt less spacy, high and disconnected the next day.  Try it.. You need a awesome physical therapist for that.  It gets old trying to explain it. IThats what I call it. IT.. ITS always there...are your eyes sensitive to light. Mine seem to be.  I feel like I have a loose circiut in my brain. Its like watching a TV that is slight slight staticy all the time.  Question. If you close your eyes can you feel it?  or can only sense it with your eyes open?  IM curious.. Let me know

Speak with you soon,
TLS
Have you looked at spiritual awakening?  I too have been suffering with symptoms for 7 months
I have all of these issues, brain fog, dizziness, disconnect and I too am questioning spiritual awakening.  
I forgot to add. Those darks bags. I got em to. weird we both have that. Its pretty isnt it??

TLS
Ok, i have literally had the exact symptom of you, i lose my train of thought, i feel like im in a sort of a dream world thats hard to explain constantly spacing out, i dont know how i get work done and somehow i get through the day. Every now and then i will get a sort of pass-out sensation that is hard to explain...im scared that i will just fall over. It all started the day i got back to school after i had flu A. i took an inhalant medicine called relenza, idk if that did it or it was the upper-respitory flu that did it. I also just realized that we added a new room to the house which may have contributed to it.......any suggestions??
Look up Meniere's Disease...sounds like it to me
You described how I feel better than anyone else I have heard.  I will only add that my mind sometimes seems to turn over, or roll, as if it is trying to go into REM sleep while I am technically still awake (thats how I think of it anyway..I am a deep deep sleeper). Its the sensation in my head of having a vivid dream only I am awake and I can't concentrate in my surroundings.  Unfortunately I have MS. But your symptoms could be caused by anything.  When you get to the doctor's consider asking him about whether or not it'd be beneficial to you to try Provigil.  It's prescribed for a ton of various conditions and although no one is sure exactly how it works, it has helped me significantly. I don't feel jittery or high, I just feel awake, alert, and normal.  Good luck!