Lower Back

I somehow hurt my back back in 2002.  I woke up one morning and fell to my knees with shooting pain across my lower back (mainly right side.)  I had the shooting pain for 4 days and really unable to function (sleep, stand, sit, lay down, etc.)  If I took a deep breath, extreme pain.  I had to walk literally at a 60 degree angle.  The pain subsided after about a week to where it was tolerable.  I had an MRI done and it only showed a slightly buldging disc.  The doctor didn't really seem concerned and said it was probably a muscle spasm.  He gave me some muscle relaxers and vicodin.  I'm been living with this dull pain and on occasion extreme pain where I can't stand up straight.

The pain is always there; everyday.  I don't get much sleep because I have to rotate about every hour.  I can only sleep on my side.  I put a pillow between my legs but that doesn't even seem to help now.  I only had pain shoot throught my leg one time at night while I was sleeping.  It felt like electricity going through my right leg.  

Here we are in 2008, and I still had stiff pain in my lowerback everyday.  My right hand (thumb, index finger and middle finger) has now started to tingle and go numb.  I don't know if that has any relation to the back.

Any suggestions?