Neurology Community

Lumbar Puncture/Spinal Tap Ear Ache

Sorry for the long story in advance….

I have had massive pains in my left ear for 3 years. My neurologist who is at his wits end thought a lumbar puncture may relieve what could be a potentially low pressure headache.

After the operation i felt fine but the next day i started getting right ear pain. As you can imagine panic slowly set in. For some reason the day after this it completely disappeared. Unfortunately the day after again it hit me hard. Its been 4 weeks since the lumbar puncture and the pain is severe. It seems any pressure on my right ear such as bending my neck etc causes severe pain. In addition it gets very painful listening to any noise and i have to turn down the TV etc.

My neurologist has tried to tell me it is nothing to do with the lumbar puncture..... It started the day after and i cant believe that i can have chronic pain in both my ears from now on. He is arranging a blood patch to be done but unfortunately every time i go into hospital i get sent home (UK NHS.......). He is very doubtful it will work as he is sure the two aren’t linked. I just think this is a crazy diagnosis. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that it happened the day after!!

I should make it clear that the pain is significantly different. My left ear feels like it has a knife stuck in it for the last 3 years. My right ear after the lumbar feels like a combination of an ear infection and massive pressure on it. However my ears don't get blocked. When i do clear them the right one feels week and that it may burst.

Any advice would be appreciated, i am bed ridden and while i was struggling with my left ear, i am now completely crippled and spend all day in bed for my own good. Surely I don’t have this much bad luck……

​Thanks
     After procedure keep your head below the puncture site at least two hours to assure possible bubble in spinal chord enclosure disapates. OR, world's worst headache will ensue.