A
A
Close
Neurology Community
44.9k Members

Lumbar Puncture/Spinal Tap Ear Ache

Hello,

Sorry for the long story in advance….

I have had massive pains in my left ear for 3 years. My neurologist who is at his wits end thought a lumbar puncture may relieve what could be a potentially low pressure headache.

After the operation i felt fine but the next day i started getting right ear pain. As you can imagine panic slowly set in. For some reason the day after this it completely disappeared. Unfortunately the day after again it hit me hard. Its been 4 weeks since the lumbar puncture and the pain is severe. It seems any pressure on my right ear such as bending my neck etc causes severe pain. In addition it gets very painful listening to any noise and i have to turn down the TV etc.

My neurologist has tried to tell me it is nothing to do with the lumbar puncture..... It started the day after and i cant believe that i can have chronic pain in both my ears from now on. He is arranging a blood patch to be done but unfortunately every time i go into hospital i get sent home (UK NHS.......). He is very doubtful it will work as he is sure the two aren’t linked. I just think this is a crazy diagnosis. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that it happened the day after!!

I should make it clear that the pain is significantly different. My left ear feels like it has a knife stuck in it for the last 3 years. My right ear after the lumbar feels like a combination of an ear infection and massive pressure on it. However my ears don't get blocked. When i do clear them the right one feels week and that it may burst.

Any advice would be appreciated, i am bed ridden and while i was struggling with my left ear, i am now completely crippled and spend all day in bed for my own good. Surely I don’t have this much bad luck……

​Thanks
1 Responses
     After procedure keep your head below the puncture site at least two hours to assure possible bubble in spinal chord enclosure disapates. OR, world's worst headache will ensue.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease