Neurology Community

MRI Brain 3 years Old

My 3 years old son has difficulty in speaking, he can babble but can’t speak and point his finger towards the desired objects. Instead he use to take us by holding our hand to the desired object example towards AC switch or Refrigerator door. He can’t even speak Mama, Papa and point towards them. Had a poor eye contact. He is physically fit with all emotions, plays game on mobile. He has been doubted with ASD but the assessment is still pending. We have been advised to do BERA and EEG Tests which appears normal. His MRI report is has some deviation from normal which needs to be understood.
MRI Brain Plain
Results Multiplanar MR imaging of the brain was done. TIW, TSE-T2W and FLAIR images were obtained in three orthogonal planes.
Results:
The study shows small hyperintensities on FLAIR involving peritrigonal region/occipital region on both the sides, possibly incomplete myelination
Rest of the brain parenchyma appears normal.
The basil cisterns and superficial subarachnoid CSF spaces are normal.
Ventricles appear prominent.
The mid brain, pons and medulla are normal.
The cerebellar hemispheres are normal.
Visualized parts of the sella, 5 th, 7 th and 8 th nerve complexes are grossly normal on routine brain imaging. Major flow voids are present.
Advice : Clinical Correlation.

Please help me to understand the report.
Regards,
Ashish
Not my field at all but " possibly incomplete myelination" would be the large Red Flag that I'd be focussed on.  

It suggests to me the nerves might not have proper fully developed insulation, just like insulated electrical wiring sitting in a bath of electrolyte where the plastic wire covering's might be incomplete/ineffective, and if that were the case their function as nerves would be handicapped at a very elementary level.  Nerves normally are insulated from their surroundings by myelin, except at the active tips.

The last line appears to be urging:  confirm through observation or behaviour testing.

In your shoes, I'd be asking:  What's your next step?  Would a better MRI (3D, add contrast, or?) help clarify this issue.  Arranging specific behavioural testing to confirm there's a concern?  Or?