Neurology Community
45k Members

MRI lumbar spinem Report

According to MRI lumbar spine reports I have L5-S1 no evidence of disc herniation or spinal stenosis.
However, it saids, "L4-L5 shows degenertive disc disease without evidence of focal disc herniation or central spinal stebosis. There is facet arthropathy; however, the neural foramina are patent."
QUESTION: What does "facet arthropathy; however, the neural foramina are patent" mean ????

Additional, the report saids, "The L3-L4 level shows mild central spinal stenosis secondary to degenerative disc disease,ligmentous hypertrophy and facet yarthropathy. The cross sectional area measures 150 square millimeters with 20 % reduction in cross sectional area. The AP diameter measures 9 mm.
There is a small central subligamentous L3-L4 disc herniation indenting the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and contributing to the mild central spinal stenosis.
QUESTION: What does "secondary to degenerative disc disease, ligmentous hypertrophy and facet arthropathy" mean ?
Are they saying that I have degenerative disc disease ? And what does ligmentous hypertrophy and facet arthropathy mean ?

Finally, What does "chronic superior endplate compression fracture of L1" mean?

I think this is a detailed report best I have seen in quite awhile on me. I am just confused on the way some of the termology is used.  I wonder if you can break it down so a layman could understand the parts described.
I'm not a doctor, but you can look up the terms used:facet arthropathy is arthritis in the facet joints & yes, your report is stating degenerative disc disease> Hypertrophy means ossification of the ligaments which narrows the spinal column(stenosis). I don't know if this helps, but do a search on Google for the terms you don't know.