Neurology Community
45k Members

Muscle spasms and knots

Can muscle spasms and knots in neck and shoulder cause arm pain, arm weakness, head pain, headache down side of face, headache behind one eye, blurred vision in one eye, burning in collar bone going up neck, jaw pain, dizziness, fatigue.  All symptoms are on right side and dont ever really go away and have been going on for about 6 weeks now.  

I have been to a physical therapist that has me doing some strength exercises and I am stretching and massaging the areas with a tennis ball to try and work out the knots.

Also I am a 27 year old female, smoker, drink occasionally.  I take meds for heart palpitations (Toporal XL), and stomach issues (Librax), anxiety issues (Xanax) I am 5'1 about 110 lbs.,

I also suffer from bruxium and IBS and have been under a lot of stress lately due to my best friend being on some hard core drugs and has left her family.

I have had a MRI of cervical spine without contrast that was normal except showed slight loss of natural curve in neck.  MRI of brain with and without contrast showing all normal.  X ray of neck showing same slight loss of curve in neck and very slight compression of c1-c2 when flexed.  

Thanks!
Hello, Mom2!

First, let me say that I am not a doctor and can't diagnose you.  However, I have suffered from neck problems and I am familiar with your symptoms.  As I read your letter, I thought you might have a herniated disk in your neck.  The herniation could cause oll of the symptoms you are experiencing.  However, since your MRI was normal, I don't know what to think.  Perhaps it's stress causing your neck muscles to tighten up and then pinch the nerves that cause the other symptoms.  

I had an MRI of the neck and it showed mild herniation at C6/C7.  But because of my symptoms, the doctors decided to operate anyway.  When I saw the doctor after the surgery, he told me the herniation was far worse than what the MRI showed.  It's possible that your C1/C2 issue is worse than the MRI reveals.

I am a firm believer that you have to be your own advocate.  I think you should see your doctor and tell him that your symptoms are really affecting the quality of your life and that you really want a diagnosis.  Perhaps do some research on your symptoms online and see what diseases come up.  Then, you can go into your doctors office with a plan for what tests might be needed and what specialist you need to see.  

In the meantime, massage therapy, accupuncture, bio feedback, a tens unit, stress management, hot tubs and lots of other things can help to relax you and your neck.  Ibuprofen is great at reducing swelling and should help your neck.  If not, Aleve has a mild muscle relaxant in it that will also help.

Please let me know how everything turns out.

Best of luck!

Curt
Thanks Curt!!!  I have been trying the massage but I think I am over doing it cause I was really sore today.  My doctors think i am crazy because the test have all come back fine but I am still in a lot of pain.  I dont care though i wont give up until I get a definite answer on what is wrong.  I am hoping you are feeling better after your surgery??

Laurin
Have you ever heard of fibromyalgia? I have this and some of your symptoms are very familiar
Yes I have as a matter of fact my mother in law has fibromyalgia.  I hope I dont have that...I mean that is something that never goes away and I am hoping this will eventually go away. :)

Will the neuro check for this?

Laurin
There seems to be alot of things going on, physical therapy is great but have you tried chiropractic, alot of times when you work on a muscle it might only give temporary relief if the bones are out of alignment constantly putting pressure on the nerves.  The concern that I have is with the compression of the C1/C2 area upon flexion, this can be a indication of RA does that run in your family?  Have they tried bloodwork specifically looking at ANA/FANA and your Sed rate- these are tests for RA and inflammation. You do need a nuerological exam if this is persistant.  A neuro will not check for fibro usually, a rheumatoid dr sometimes will, it is still a condition we know little about, heck they just admitted it is a real condition, a few years back. Fibro maybe, but that doesn't explain all the tinglys you are getting and blurred vision.  I hope they did a brain MRIas well  
Thanks for your response...Chiropractor is actually where I started...I went to him 3 times a week for 3 weeks and finally had to stop because even he did not understand why I would leave my appointment aligned and feeling good and I would come back in 2 days right back where I started.  He said "What in the world are you doing?"  I said nothing, I am not doing anything but for some reason my muscles are SO tense they are causing some bad issues.  

My grandmother had RA but not until she was 75.  My doctor said they were running blood work to look for inflammation but everything came back fine.  So I dont know what to think.

I had an MRI of my neck and my brain.  The brain one was with and without contrast....came back perfectly normal.

I am confused...I cant wait to go see the neuro so maybe they will have an answer for me.  

Laurin
Hi there

I have similar symptoms to yours.
I was wondering if you sorted out everything and if the doctors know what caused all these problems.

Natasha