Neurology Community
45k Members

NEUROPATHY

i have been a diabetic for 13 years now, starting at prenancy 15 years ago, from there it has gone down hill from pill mediation to insulin now insulin and pills.  I do know that stress has more effect on my diabetes than anything right now.  I have neuropathy in my feet very bad and I try not to complain about it because I am so affraid of amputation.  During my pregnancy I had carpuls tunnel in both hand and arms very bad and after my daughter was born I have to have surgery on both hands.  Because I could not hold my baby with out dropping her.  That surgery was very successful and I have been able to use both hands very well.  My foot doctor recommend in 4 months the surgry for my feet and that was in May of this year, but I also had fungus in both of my Big toes so he has me on a fungus medicine that I take every night.  My problem right now is that I am experiencing swelling in my left ankle and foot.  The swelling is so bad that I have to keep my feet elivated at heart level or above all day, I cannot walk, or even sit up without it swelling really bad.  It also hurts really bad.  Got any suggestions?
This is something you do yourself, to help with diabetes and the swelling feet. The extra oxygen going into the body energizes the cells.
These pranayam exercises will help control the diabetes and the side effects.Build up the timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume later(after about a minute).The benefits will be noticed in weeks as the sugar level is checked daily.Over the long term the diabetes will be in full control.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril
then -keeping the left nostril closed deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years -  do 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Also everyday, press the centre point of the palm of both your  hands 40 times with the thumb and press the tips of all fingers 40 times each.
To stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin: mandukasan - kneel down(with feet pointing inwards,and sit on the ankles/heels, Vajrasan position), breathe in and breathe out completely and hold your breath, pull the stomach in, press both your  hands on stomach, bend forward as much as possible keeping the head straight, hold for 5 to 15 seconds and come back up while breathing in. Repeat  this 3 times daily  to stimulate the kidney and pancreas.Mandukasan2 - Repeat the whole process,but this time with with fists of both hands pressing against the stomach.Mandukasan can be done sitting on a chair, if you cannot bend the legs.
Continue the breathing exercises once a day, after the diabetes is in full control.