Avatar universal

Neck and shoulder pain

I was in a car wreck and took a blow to my face, they tell me I have a bulging disc at c7.  My question what can I do to relieve the pain?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Regarding herniated discs (or disc bulges), with time, the amount of disk may shrink and with time may resolve completely in most people. Therefore, for the majority of people, non-surgical treatment is the first option. This treatment may include medications (non-steroidals such as advil), sometimes steroids if there is swelling (edema), temperature therapy (hot or cold packs), stretching and controlled physical therapy, muscle relaxants, and so on, these are best prescribed by an experienced physician, each has its own indications. Other options for the neuropathic pain include gabapentin and pregabalin, and medications such as a tricyclic antidepressant but a careful cardiac workup needs to be performed prior to starting one of these medications. Other options include physical therapy.

It should be mentioned that there are some people that will require surgery for herniated discs. Symptoms (in general from herniated discs in the cervical region and lumbar region) suggesting the need for urgent surgery includes muscle weakness, loss of bowel or bladder control, loss of sensation, particularly in the pelvis and severe and progressive pain. This will need to be decided upon by your PCP and/or neurologist.

Lastly, where is your pain? Is it associated with the bulging disc or is it caused by the actual car wreck? You should see a family physician to determine the source of the pain because that will ultimately determine the treatment plan.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Helpful - 0
1707207 tn?1307811901
I'm assuming you think your pain is caused by the bulge at C7. OTC Anti inflammatory drugs sometimes help as does deep tissue massage or Chiropractic. Check with your doctor to see what he recommends. It would help if you described in detail your symptoms.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease