Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Neomycin and latent myasthenia gravis

Sir:
  I am wondering if someone has any information regarding reversal of the neuromuscular blockade resultant from an adverse reaction to neomycin.  I have heard of a variant of myasthenia gravis called latent myasthenia gravis which affects the heart muscle.  Almost one year exaclty after having taken neomycin my heartbeat is still irregular ( alternately heavy and pounding, causing my head to jerk slightly, or slow to the point I'm almost afraid of it stopping).  I had to stop taking the drug owing to the onset of syncope, peripheral neuropathy, and borderline ataxia.
  Also, I've heard that doctors in Montreal are quite advanced in this area.
  Thanks in advance.
===========================================================================
Dear Pete:
I do not think one could conceivably associate your cardiac symptoms with neomycin use, or with possible myasthenia gravis (MG). In fact, I do not see you mention a single symptom that at all suggests the diagnosis of MG.
Neomycin can at times bring out the symptoms of MG in cases that are subclinically involved, through direct neuromuscular blockade by the drug. This effect is quite temporary, lasting hours to a few days at the most. The effects are seen in skeletal muscle in the form of limb, neck, trunk, and respiratory weakness, droopy eyelids, difficulty swallowing, etc. There is no condition called latent myasthenia gravis affecting only the heart that I know of.

0 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease