Neurology Community
45k Members

Neurological symptoms- not MS? environmental? mold? help!

Female, age 39 (really!)- neurological symptoms the past 6 months. Both PCP & Neurologist thought it was MS, had X-rays of back,MRI of cervical spine and brain- all tests came back fine. Never had blood tests. Now, they say "just wait, maybe your symptoms will just go away, and we will never know."
     Symptoms were: limbs falling asleep for hours at a time both sides of body. Shooting lightning type pains on face, arms, legs, hands & feet. Up to 50 in a minute lasting for hours, sometimes only a 2 or 3 in a day? Eye jumping vertically once, and then weeks later horizontally. Blurry vision. Vertigo (fell 3 times one day). Feeling like I hit my funny bone. Pins & needles feeling once. Numbness, band like feeling.
     My question is: can I have MS and the MRI wouldn't show anything? Should I push for a spinal tap? We moved into the house we are living in aprox. the same time symptoms started- could it be an environmental factor? Mold? We live by a rock quarry- anything I should look up in regards to that? I drink Diet coke? could that be it?
     Desperately searching for answers! Grasping at straws, I know. Am I really suppose to do nothing? HELP!
Negative brain and C-spine MRI don't rule out MS 100% of the time; they can be negative and one can still have MS (small percentage of people).  But MS symptoms (numbness, tingling, etc) don't usually present on both sides of the body at once as you describe your symptoms as presenting in your legs or arms.  

I don't know if the aspartame (or whatever artificial sweetener that is in your diet coke) could cause those symptoms or not.  If you have been drinking it a long time and you suddenly got the symptoms I doubt they would be due to the artificial sweetener, but I couldn't say for sure.  I use stevia in my tea and coffee.  It's natural, non-caloric, and tastes good.  I use Stevia Plus by SweetLeaf-I think it is the best tasting and they don't put any silica in it like some of the other stevias.  I don't know if they've started putting stevia in sodas or not, since you drink soda.

As far as mold in your home, I have never heard of it causing paresthesias, but if you have a significant problem with it in your house I would do a search on mold and health hazards and see what you come up with.  Good luck.
I have all those symptoms too except the nystagmus (eyes moving from side to side). My muscles twitch all over. I've had them for almost 2 years.  Ive had a spinal tap, MRI's of brain, cervical spine, thoracic and lumbar spine, evoked potentials, emg...all were normal.  I've seen 4 neurologists, including an MS specialist at the Cleveland Clinic.  Not one of them thinks I have MS.  Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.  We may never get an answer.  My only diagnosis is fibro and I don't believe it.
Regarding the spinal tap,

I wanted it as all my other tests came back normal, some of them were repeated and were normal again.  I just couldn't live without knowing if it was MS.  Spinal tap was normal too.  I had to ask for it.  It wasn't fun but I'm glad I did it.

I doubt mold would cause these symptoms.  Usually mold is respiratory problems.
I have had similar symptoms for 8 weeks.  All started two weeks before my 40th birthday! Numbness,tingling, weird sensory feelings on all four extremities. Had a Brain MRI, c-spine and t-spine MRI and lumbar puncture...all normal. Neuro suspects viral myelitis (inflammation of the myelin sheath) since I had a bad gastro-virus the same time all of this started. Just to be safe I gave up the diet coke because I have heard a lot of bad aspertame stories. Did your symptoms come on all of the sudden or do you have one symptom for a while and then another added to it? Have you had your B-12 level checked? What about your thyroid? You should have a complete blood work up to rule out metabolic causes. The lumbar puncture was not fun but I too am glad to have the piece of mind that it was negative.
I am 41 and I have numbness in my lips, which goes all over my face sometimes. This started about 10 days ago. It's not on one side, and it moves all around, but some area of the lips is always numb. What are the chances it's MS or a brain tumor?
I have all of the same problems that you do, except my arms and legs feel like pins and needles 24/7. I was diagnosed with a back problem called spondylolisthesis over a year ago, which everything else has come after that diagnosis. I have had severe nervous breakdowns/panic attacks, depression, where most of the time Im in this wierd sort of dream state. I have had some speech changes, where i either slur my words, cant think of the word im trying to find, or completely forget what im talking about and just get confused. I have numbness in my legs constantly and sometimes in my arms and fingertips. I have gained weight, probably about 30 pounds, which is horrible since im only 5 feet tall. I constantly want to sleep or feel like i need to sleep. I also have electric shocks that go through my body which is scarry. I have no interest or anything which i can associate that with my depression. But its really scarry cuz even the easiest things seem like a difficult task. Say grocery shopping or tanning or going to the mall with my mom. Basically, my  body just feels run down. I wake up every morning feeling stiff like Im 70 or plus years old and Im sadly only a 22 year old college senior. I have been struggling with this problem for over a year, which it keeps progressively getting worse with onset of different symptoms such as psychological problems, uncontrollable twitching, and the list goes on. I have had all the tests done except the spinal tap, which i am extremely scared of because of my experience with steriod injections with my back issues, which i hear the spinal tap is much worse. So I would like to know if you think it is worth it. I feel like Im losing my mind sometimes because Im constantly in pain for some unknown reason. Its good to know Im not alone. My parents just recently showed me about the aspartme rumor, so Im going to stop drinking or eating stuff with that in it and see if it helps. Ive done my research on it and it seems like there is a huge mix of opinions on the subject. I guess im just looking for answers and hope. I went to a nuerologist and he told my mom that I was basically making it up and using my "illness" for a crutch for some other reason. So Im at my whits ends. Im trying to graduate from college, but it makes it extremely difficult when you feel like this, and especially worse when everyone thinks your crazy because all the tests say your normal. Somebody please give me answers!!! I am scarred for my life, my parents are concerned but i dont think they realize how bad it is. I feel alone and I dont know where to turn.