Neurology Community
45k Members

Neurology and depression

Ok, I'm a 44 year old women, who until 3 years ago have been in good health.  I started experiencing stroke like symptoms (slurred speach, word finding difficulties, left foot dragging/no reflexes in foot, loss of strength in hands and dizzy spells, choking in my sleep, long and short term memory).  My medical practioner indicated that this was not a stroke and left it at that.  My symptoms starting getting worse, and was given an MRI, EEG, ENG - they have all come back as negative.  The neurologist says the dizzy spells are benign positional vertigo and the Ear specialist says they are not, but are in fact Neurological in origin.

I have gone for many tests - most recently a Cat scan with contrast - that came back as saying there is a Veinous malformation on my right/front brain (enlarged) - however not significant and not treatable.  The MRI's have shown non-specific white matter.  The MS specialist has indicated that he does not feel this is MS, however he will not rule it out either.

Two months ago, after feeling like I'm still not getting anywhere and getting sicker, I attempted suicide.  I ended up in emergency, and 2 days on the Psych ward.  I was given anti-depressants.  Now it seems that my medical team feels that all my symptoms are as a result of depression and are not Neurological.

I'm willing to believe that however, I've felt that the depression came after the other problems.  I think that anyone who has gone thru the problems I've gone thru would get depressed too.  So, I'm just looking for any imput and thoughts.

thanks!

Clare
Hi.

I am very sorry to learn that you are suffering from these symptoms and has even led you to attempt suicide. I do hope your symptoms would resolve soon.

Was there anything prior to appearance of your symptoms which would have you depressed in any way? Did you feel any symptoms that would indicate depression before you experienced the somatic symptoms. Depression can, indeed, manifest as somatic symptoms, if severe enough. But I am also inclined to believe that your condition is more neurological than psychological.

However, the main concern that has to be primarily addressed at the moment is your depression, especially since you attempted suicide. I would advise you to regularly seek counseling, aside from intake of anti-depressant medications, to help you manage your depression.

Regarding your somatic symptoms, multiple sclerosis (MS) does present in such manner, but your MRI findings are non-specific enough to warrant a temporary diagnosis of MS. However, you can request your physician to perform other tests such as visual evoked response, somatosensory evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked responses, as well as cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis.

If you are unsatisfied by the way your current neurologist is handling your condition, you could opt to get a second opinion from another neurologist.

Good luck.