Neurology Community
45k Members

Normal EEG results during partial seizures?

Hello!

About 9 months ago, I started experiencing short bouts of paralysis of my arms and legs and weakness that was worse in the morning and would vary in severity throughout the day. These episodes usually only lasted a few minutes, although rarely much longer, and mostly happened as I was going to bed at night. I also developed fasciculations a few days after the first episode and have had them ever since. I
I think a second opinion makes a lot of sense.  The episodes you describe sound too long for partial seizures.  The jerking in your face that progresses down one side sounds almost like a focal motor seizure with Jacksonian march.  I gather pseudoseizures are being suggested at this time.  The best way to determine these is admission to an EEG-video-telemetry unit and to be monitored continuously until the episodes - preferably more than one - are caught both on video and on EEG.

It is so hard to be told the things that are disrupting/destroying your life are psychogenic.  When I was first disabled by vertigo I presented with pseudoseizures and was repeatedly humiliated by doctors telling me to shape up and fly right.  The good news about it was that I didn't have to take the anticonvulsants.

Has anyone considered these to be a type of atypical migraine - like hemiplegic migraine and proposed a trial of migraine preventative like Topomax?

No, I do not believe that psychogenic seizures would cause absent reflexes.  Lack of reflexes with paralysys and increasing muscle weakness could indicate a disorder of lower motor neurons.  You definitely need a second evaluation, preferably at an academic center.

Quix