Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

Normal EEG results during partial seizures?

Hello!

About 9 months ago, I started experiencing short bouts of paralysis of my arms and legs and weakness that was worse in the morning and would vary in severity throughout the day. These episodes usually only lasted a few minutes, although rarely much longer, and mostly happened as I was going to bed at night. I also developed fasciculations a few days after the first episode and have had them ever since. I
1 Responses
147426 tn?1317269232
I think a second opinion makes a lot of sense.  The episodes you describe sound too long for partial seizures.  The jerking in your face that progresses down one side sounds almost like a focal motor seizure with Jacksonian march.  I gather pseudoseizures are being suggested at this time.  The best way to determine these is admission to an EEG-video-telemetry unit and to be monitored continuously until the episodes - preferably more than one - are caught both on video and on EEG.

It is so hard to be told the things that are disrupting/destroying your life are psychogenic.  When I was first disabled by vertigo I presented with pseudoseizures and was repeatedly humiliated by doctors telling me to shape up and fly right.  The good news about it was that I didn't have to take the anticonvulsants.

Has anyone considered these to be a type of atypical migraine - like hemiplegic migraine and proposed a trial of migraine preventative like Topomax?

No, I do not believe that psychogenic seizures would cause absent reflexes.  Lack of reflexes with paralysys and increasing muscle weakness could indicate a disorder of lower motor neurons.  You definitely need a second evaluation, preferably at an academic center.

Quix
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease