Neurology Forum

Not too Sure It's TIA's

I know you can't give a diagnosis without seeing me. My docs are sending me to Cleveland Clinic,but was hoping to find out if anyone knows what this is?
In Jan of 99 I started experiencing facial swelling on the right side only. My face swells so that my eye swells shut. I get headaches right before it happens then during.It started by swelling and staying that way for a couple of hours to maybe the whole day. Now it swells and may go down for a couple of hours or a day or 2. When it started I went to my family doc and he said TIA's,now after 9 doctors they say not TIA's. I have been on coumadin since last Jan,also been treated for facial spams by Botox injections which did absolutely nothing.Not long ago while having a headache I was pressing on the back of my head to releive the pressure,I pressed on a spot on at the base of my brain and the swelling went down. As soon as I let off the swelling returns! When I showed this to one of my doctors,he told me to wear a hat!! When I press on the spot it causes severe headaches so a hat is out.I also found that the spot on the back of my head is alittle swollen.(always)I have had 4 MRI's 6 cat scans and been admitted to the hospital 3 times to be put on Hepren.That doesn't seem to help either.Please help,I am afraid to go out anywhere for fear that it will swell and I won't be able to drive home. I was told not to drive or work but no-one seems to have any answers for me.Thank You for your time.Deena
Dear Deena:

I am not sure what to tell you.  This might be migraine variant.  It doesn't sound like a TIA to me.  It seems to related to the headache.  I would pursue the migraine angle first, and I am sure that is what they will do when your evaluated here.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I too was diagnosed with tia's
I had numbness down right side in cheek heavyness in leg but face also swell not as serious as yours however but when i had the spells i felt swelling in face and back of neck. Swelling didnt go away tho till spell left.
I understand tia's are signs of future stroke wonder if this is a givin?
Also wonder if my mri turned out clear (brain mri) why there are still lingering from time to time symptoms.  Mostly eye blur.
Wonder is there limitations now cause of having tia's
Corodid artiery test didnt warrent surgery. So what is causing tia's?
Also had facial spasms on right side. Did your doc give you any more info on tia's   thanks
Dear Graneet:

TIAs are compromises in neuronal function brought on by ischemia.  The estimates are that in a 5 year time, 50% will go on to have a major stroke, 25% will go on to have another TIA and 25% will not have another event.  Repeated TIAs occurring over a short time happen but they are very rare and mostly we see these giving rise to a stroke in a short amount of time.  Isolated TIAs occur but usually give a characteristic type of neuronal deficit (depending on which vascular territory is being compromised).  Since the MRI was normal after so many TIAs, I would find that alittle unusual.  If the TIAs were so characteristic and the symptoms lasting several hours, there should have some changes on MRI (diffusion weighted scans).  Especially in the case of the previous poster who had a years worth of TIAs.  That was leading me away from the TIA diagnosis.

CCF Neuro MD
Thank you
Im throughly confused and have no idea which direction to go.
I had an open brain mri
My symptoms have consisted of the following;
sever fatique
constant urination all night 3-4 times
facial numbness right side cheek down neck arm leg felt heavy
cramps in right leg and arm weak feeling when numbness is gone
a stiff feeling across back of neck and shoulder
lips went numb as well as under chin
felt bubble in ear which only comes when have sensations
Have had drawing in my right foot muscle
Joints in my right elbow and wrist and fingers ache when spells leave.
Have trouble thinking clearly
And a blur in my right eye always if look up or to left or right then try to focus it hurts and is blurry
Then it will clear up
Only had the full numbness twice once with a light headed feel
once with just my mouth and face
wasnt stressed
since tho now i get these head aches up back of head and sometimes sudden surges feels like blood running up my back quickly to my head.
I know you cant give diagnosis i just want to know what to ask the doctor to look for Ive spent over 3.500.00 no insurance trying to find out whats going on. Any ideas
Dear Graneet:

I am not sure what your asking.  I think I would start from the beginning and get a good physical exam, some basic labs, and then a good neurological examination.  You need someone to look at you, combine the lab work with the symptoms that are gained from physical exam.  I am sorry that you have no health insurance, but some physician needs to be the center of the investigation of your health problems.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thank you for responding now having sever muscle stiffness trying to wait till things get bad enought a doc can find whats wrong.  But mean while i have a question about the connection bettween herpes virus and ms.
When i was twenty i lost a child soon after i developed shingles i didnt know what it was till i went to my doctor and he was amazed that i was so young with shingles even had another doctor look at i. It was a patch about seven inches long on left shoulder.  Now i asked someone who studies herpes to see if the shingles herpes and the one they connect to ms is the same and he said yes they are. Could you elaborate on the information you know about it. And does that predisposition a person to possible get ms? Or how does it relate to ms? Thanks for you answers i realy appreciate this web and cc for this web. You are very kind.
Dear Granett:

Tell your friend to publish is work and he will get the nobel prize as researchers for many years have been looking for the agent that causes MS.  Absolutely no data suggests that Herpes causes MS.  I have a nineteen year old young man in my office currently who has shingles.  There you go, another myth put to rest.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Im sorry you thought this was a friend it was one of those places on the web who does medical work with herpes virus. I found on your web sight under ms a topic of the role of herpes 6 and mulitiple sclerosis. And looked up the information. That is why i asked. There are a lot of sights on this. So when i asked the question i didn't think it would be a myth. Sorry it was such a dumb question.
Dear Graneet:

Please, don't feel bad.  The internet is a great source of information, but not all information is correct.  It would be wonderful if Herpes 6 was the cause of MS, but unfortunately it is not a magic bullet of the etiology.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thank you
your welcome.

CCF Neuro MD
Sorry to "jump" into a message like this, but I have not been able to get in to post my own.
I have had vertigo and other symptoms for about five years and was diagnosed with Basilar artery migraine last year. I also get chest pain (mild to severe) from time to time and didn't think anything of it until I read an article on Prinzmetal's angina. This is caused by a coronary artery spasm while BAM is a basilar artery spasm. Could there be a link between BAM & Prinzmetal's - same factor causing both spasms?
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease