Neurology Community
45k Members

Numbness, itchy, cold, burning leg

For 4 months, I have suffered from a numb, itchy, and cold/burning right upper leg. It is also sensitive to the touch and I sometimes get stabbing pains in the same area. In June it started as a quarter size area...now it has increased to my whole front leg. I do have an appt. for an MRI next week, but am very curious about this until I get a final diagnosis. The doctor I chose to go to did not offer much info...he thinks I may have a damaged nerve in my back. He also told me during my exam that I have 'brisk reflexes' and had asked me if I had always had 'brisk reflexes'. He seemed very concerned about this condition. I also have fatigue and always a feeling of muscle aches and sometimes confusion. Please...anyone that has suffered from this condition, please respond....I am very concerned about this and would appreciate any info from anyone!
I HAVE VERY SIMILAIR PROBLEM IN MY LEFT FOOT, ONLY AFFECTS THE ARES RIGHT AROUND MY SMALL TO, WAS VERY ITCHY AND IT DROVE ME CRAZY BUT AT THE SAME TIME IT FELT NUMB, THE ITCH HAS GONE BUT NOT THE NUMB FEELING. i DID NOT SEE A DR FOR THIS BUT FEEL IT IS A SYMPTOM OF AN UNDIAGNOSED CONDITION THAT I HAVE. FOR MANY YEARS i BELIEVED i HAD MS, I HAD SO MANY TESTS, BLOODWORK, BRAIN SCAN, MRI, NERVE CONDUCTION TESTS, SPINAL TAP, XRAYS, CT SCANS, ALL COME BACK NORMAL, i GIVE UP BUT WHEN i START HAVING A FLAIR UP i START WORRYING AGAIN. i HOPE YOU CAN FIND AN ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM. iF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN READING ANY OF MY EARLIER POSTS i STARTED WRITTING AROUND LAST FEB, MARCH AND APRIL.YOU CAN FIND THEM IN THE ARCHIVES, SOMEWHERE THERE I LISTED ALL MY SYMPTOMS
Ho Jeannie!!!
Thanks for your info.....sounds like you have had your share of health issues as well. I am sure it is aggravating to have so many tests done and not have a diagnosis. It helps to know someone understands. I have had 1 doctor, 1 pa, and 1 physical therapist all tell me I have them a little stumped. I hope you find out what your condition is involving your foot....I will keep referring to this, so you can let me know if you ever get a final diagnosis. Thanks again!!!
I too have the same problem with my right upper thigh.  Numbness and burning and itchy. It started out the size of a quarter just above my knee cap during my last pregnancy.  Docs said it would go away after I delivered because most likely a nerve was being pressed on...Needless to say it did not go away, and has only been progressivley getting worse. It now starts just above the knee cap and covers almost the whole upper thigh in front...no numbness or anything on the back of my leg.  While the leg is numb, it still gets itcy and it is very irritating to scratch it. If I stand or walk for too long, the burning sensation comes into play, and I have to sit down, because it also hurts my lower back, makes my back feel like it will break if I don't sit down. This has been going on for 23 years! And not one doctor can tell me what is wrong...I've been sent for many, many tests, including the nerve test where they stick needles in your leg...now they are telling me that it is probably due to weight and that it won't go away, I'll just have to live with it.  This pain really ruins outings, as I always have to sit and rest for a while so I can punch the leg & massage it to try to get some feeling in it, even if the feeling only deep down, not on the skin. When we go places I sometimes just want a wheel chair because it is just too painful to walk. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but at least you know you are not alone....I sure hope someone reading this has had it and found a cure for it..
Thanks for responding....I cannot believe I finally found someone w/ the same symptoms in the same area....finally someone understands! So the dr said it is probably a pinched nerve? That's what a friend of mine says it is....did you ever have an MRI? And the dr said you will have to live w/ it? That is not positive...I can't imagine anyone having to live w/ this....there have been times I have been ready to saw my leg off! For the last 2 days, it has not been bad....last week there was 1 day I thought it was going to explode! Right now, I am not sure rather to have the MRI...I may try other alternatives....but whatever I find out, I will be sure to let you know so maybe I can be of some help to you. I am sorry it has been 23 yrs of suffering for you....I just cannot imagine putting up w/ that for that amount of time! Thanks so much for your input....I will let you know if I can come up w/ a fix for it...someone I hope will respond to us that can offer, if not a cure, some good relief! Thanks again!
Never had an MRI done, just the test that sticks needles in your leg to determine where the damaged nerve is...Since it was not the Sciatic nerve, which I think is what they were looking to find, they are deducting that it is a pinched nerve in the pelvic area.  My regualar doc said there is a surgery for this, usually people just live with it....All I know is that the pain gets so incredible, I feel like taking to a wheelchair whenever we go anywhere that involves walking or standing for any length of time.  Like cooking Thanksgiving dinner...I'll put a barstool in the kitchen so I can lift my right leg up on it to get some relief.  I too hope someone knows what this is.  The neurologist that is going to perform my surgery on my neck asked me if I knew what it was or if anyone had diagnosed it.  I told him that no one had diagnosed it for 23 years, he looked at me in disbelief...he just can't believe that no one has done anything to find the exact cause...I'm hoping that after we get my neck fixed he'll look into a cure for my leg pain.
I am SO glad to find this place.  I have your exact same symptoms and I haven't gone to the doctor yet.  It started out almost 2 years ago, with this strange itching on my left thigh above the knee.  I would scratch it like crazy...but it kept itching.  Then it slowly evolved into me having this numb spot where I had been scratching.  It started out small...and it has expanded up the front of my thigh.  It makes me crazy when I rub up against a chair or table and notice that I don't FEEL the edge.  I run my hand over the area and it is numb on the surface.  Now, I do notice that when I have to stand for a while or walk...the area hurts and I get a burning pain deeper down in the thigh.  I don't have a clue...but if you get feedback, would you please let us know?  I'm planning on making an appointment soon because it is starting to cause discomfort when I walk.  Thanks and good luck!  Kathy
I too have been suffering with this pain for almost a year. Mine is  in my right leg right above my knee on the outer part of the thigh. I cannot feel the surface. This came on Oct. 05 and I suffered through a painful winter. However I noticed that when the climate changed, so did the symptoms. During the summer months I would not get the sharp, burning pain that I got during the winter time. Now that winter is in full effect I am feeling the pain once again. I am comforted to know that there are others out there who are having this same issue. I am making an appt. for this week as I cannot handle this much longer.

I do have one question, I am overweight, is everyone else?

Thanks and please feel free to email me
***@****

Levi
i have a similar problem in both legs, right leg has all but gone away.  my left leg on the other hand seems to be getting worse.  i am also suffering from numbness, tingling, burning, coldness, and severe pain including stabbing and nagging. all this started about a month ago when my blood-oxygen got below 14%, due to an accedental overdose to methedone.  i had two prescriptions of 5mg and one of 10mg.  the whole before i went into the hospital, i was taking 10mg thinking they were 5mg. i must have lost control because every one of the 10mg were gone.  anyway, while i was in the hospital, the doctor had mentioned a slight renial failure, and that some muscle deterioration had occured due to my low oxygen level.  i have looked at many articles with no luck.  lucky to be alive.
I believe I may be in the same family with you guys.  Tell me if you can relate - for years off and on.....I get this piercing sharp pain in the upper thigh area kind of where the thigh begins and the pubic area ends...I will feel it possibly one time, or maybe a few stabs in a row - then it's Gone.  It hurts so terribly bad and it's been maybe two years.  I don't have health insurance I'm at a new joy that does not include insurance - and believe it or not I was DENIED from purchasing Health Insurance by Blue Cross Blue Shield because I'm on medication for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (couldn't be related - this is a recent diagnosis) and they said I was too much of a risk.  Isn't that wonderful?  I am not overweight. If anyone knows any type of home or herbal remedy - I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
I was so happy to see I am not alone. My numb spot started above my right knee, off a little to the side about a year ago. I thought it was due to a cut I got on that knee when I was 5yrs old and I had to have quite a few stiches and a cast for 6 weeks. Now it is on the side all the way up, it burns, hurts to touch softly, yet feels ok to really rub. The shooting stabbing pains are the worst. I just started doing Jazzercise when the area increased, and my husband thinks it is because I am finally exercising. (yes overweight) Everyone says go to the doctor, but I know he will think I am kookoo. To only have a part of 1 leg feel numb, yet it burns and has pain sounds a little weird doesn't it? I have never had a back injury, but I do have terrible arthritis in my lower back, legs, arms. Any information is so appreciated.
Ahhh finally people with the same symptoms as me.  I got a numb spot (most of the time) above my right knee along my thigh.  It doesnt feel any pain but I can feel pressure.  Everyonce in a while though it feels like its trying to "wake up" and I have a mad buring or itching feeling, which just causes me to scratch it like crazy.  Not really anything I cant live with, but its damn annoying ;-)  Has anyone figured out anything that fixes this, (besides surgery??) and as for the previous responses no I am not overweight, and I first noticed it while running sprints in wrestling practice 10 years ago.  Does anyone know what the acutual "Medical" term for this condition is besides (numb itchy spot on leg?)  and doesnt it seem odd that everyone has it on there right legs???  Weird!!!!!