Neurology Forum

Old Head Injury

About 3yrs ago I was injured pretty severly in a domestic violence situation.  I was hit numerous times in the head, more so on the right side. My nose and right eye socket were all broken.  I had reconstructive surgery as well.  The day the incident happened, doctors did xrays and MRI's, in which nothing seemed abnormal.  Within the last year and a half I have had several headaches, more severe than I'm use to and more often than usuall. Not until recently have I noticed that I have trouble understanding or comprehending what people are saying. I am also noticing that I have a hard time making decisions. My question is: Could I have effects from my injury now, 3yrs later? Is this something I should look into further?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Trouble with memory in younger people such as yourself is uncommon, but there are causes. One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests.

Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say you are crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Treatment improves this.

Certain people live into adulthood with thinking troubles that are later diagnosed as learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into adulthood.

Finally, traumatic brain injury can lead to cognitive trouble depending on the location of lesions. Also, TBI is a risk factor in developing epilepsy.

Without further information about your headache, it is difficult to provide you with adequate information. However, it is important for you to understand that if you have not experienced headaches in the past and you are now having new head pains, seeing a neurologist is a good idea, just to make sure there is nothing serious causing this pain. Imaging of the brain and sometimes then neck may be indicated depending on your exact symptoms, your physical examination, and other factors.

I highly recommend that you follow up with a neurologist to discuss your symptoms in more detail. You may need an EEG to evaluate for seizure potential. Also, a repeat MRI may be useful if one has not been done recently.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease