Neurology Forum

Other factors affecting medications

I am currently taking 400mg/day of lamictal, and 600mg/day of Zonegran iin order to control my temporal lobe, partial-complex, seizures.  I am not, nor do I believe I ever will be 100% completely seizure free, but my side effects of the medication are bothersome to me.  Mainly, difficulty in concentration.  So I've been taking ginko biloba lately and it seems to clear my head somewhat.  Will this lower my threshold level?  Also, what else can I do besides proper sleep, diet, medication, and exercise to manage my condition best.  What I'd also like to ask is this, can the human brain, through mental conditioning and training, heal itself by overcoming, or fighting off the onset of a seizure?  I've had an episode or two with an aura, vertigo, nausea, and I've, through determination and willpower, and with the help of meds, I suppose, fought off loss of consiousness on both occassions.  My last question is this, why can one small (in my case, due to a prior motorcycle accident) area of the brain cause a rash of unconrtrolled activity in a normally fuctioning brain?  I know that this is far more than you can answer in a simple forum, but just the basic sketch will do, with reference to meds and my best shots at becoming 100% seizure free...I know what the odds are.  James, Baton Rouge, LA.
1. No reported association between gingko biloba and seizures. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it is absolutely 100% safe in epilepsy. Just use common sense and stop taking it if there is a chnage in your seizure frequency that could be atrributed to the herbal.
2.Stress management and emotional well being is also important int seizure management. Psychological factors play a big role that should no be overlooked.
3. Although no one is absolutely sure what the physiological basis for this is, it is well known that patients with epilepsy have been able to "fight off" a seizure with deep concentration and willpower. We've had patients who have sensory auras preceding their full blown seizures who could actually prevent them with onset of the sensory changes by deep concentration and focus. Somehow, the abnormal electrical activity that starts out is thwarted before spreading throughout the brain.
4.The brain is very delicate with high real estate property (places that have highly specialized functions). If the cortex is injured, even in a small area, this can certainly cause seizures itself because of abnormal excitation  which can then spread to other parts of the brain.

Finally, if your seizures are coming from one temporal region as opposed to both sides, you have a potential for cure with surgery. Consider going to an epilepsy center such as theo one we have here for a surgical opinion if you're interested. Good luck.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease