Neurology Forum

PTC-medications for treatment

I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri in 2002.  I was allergic to Diamox and HCTZ (asthmatic response to the Sulfa) and as my pressures were borderline, no shunt was considered.  I have been on Prednisone and Lasix since.  Due to blood sugar problems and weight gain, have had to discontinue  the Prednisone (under my doctor's supervision and advice).  I take 80 mg of Lasix and 40 mg of Potassium now, but my doctor wants to start decreasing and I believe the PTC symptoms will worsen.  My questions are:  1)Are there any other medications out there that do the same thing as the Diamox but would not be as likely to cause the allergy problem.  Topamax has been mentioned and I was unable to find any information about allergy problems to the sulfa or how effective it is in treating PTC.  2)  My back, arms, legs, hands and feet constantly ache.  Is this related to the PTC.  (I have been to a Rheumatologist who says I have no arthritis etc. that he would find and the Neurologist says no neuroloy.) Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to help.
Diamox is not a great medication in out experience anyway, and has its own set of side effects, so I would not be too disappointed that you cannot take this medication

Topamax can be a good medication for chronic headaches but is symptomatic and does not directly treat the PTC

Your aching is probably not from the PTC, ask your doctor to check it out at your next visit

Weight loss is the most important and effective treatment you can do now, being off the steroids will help
Also, have your eyes/visual fields checked periodically, every 6-12 months in case the pressure becomes high enough to cause some visual problems

Good luck
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease