Neurology Community
45k Members

Pain and numbness in arm after breast implant surgery

I had breast implant surgery 2 weeks ago using silicone implant placed under the muscle through the crease. My arms were extended and strapped to a table during surgery. When I woke up, both arms were weak, but got better quickly. I have had numbness and tingling in my arms on and off since. I was sent home wearing a garment. The straps were left VERY short and it was digging into my armpits. I was very sleepy as I just had surgery and they weren't let out until a day or so after. My symptoms have improved, but in my right arm, I am still having some burning in the armpit and dull achy pains in my forearm and some tingling in the fingers.

I don't know if it was during surgery or while wearing the ill fitting garment, but somewhere, something was damaged in my armpit.

Do these symptoms sound like nerves that are healing or does this sound like something I should be immediately trying to treat through a neurologist.

I'm wondering if I just need more time. I just don't want to be waiting too long and have something become permanent.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Hi there!

As there has been improvement in the symptoms since the episode and the symptoms are just present off and on, nerve damage during the surgery is unlikely. The symptoms are likely to be present due to muscle spasm/ contraction, nerve impingement etc. and are likely to get better over the next few days, with movement. If the symptoms do not seem to improve in 1-2 weeks you may consider an evaluation by a primary care physician/ internist for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!