Neurology Community
45k Members

Pain in the neck

I have has recent surgery , foraminotomy, I think it is called. This was supposed to get rid of my left shoulder and arm pain. So far no such luck. My shoulder muscles are going into spasm frequently and it is quite painful. My neck also very painful also but I expected that since I was not having a fusion. Please someone let me know if this sounds like nerve damage. I am thinking maybe I waited too long to have this done and there is some perminent damage.  I had stenosis and the left side is supposed to be feeling better. What does anyone think may be going omn. It is a burning, aching feeling.
Hi there. Foraminotomy is a surgery that widens the opening in your back where nerve roots leave your spinal canal when you have a narrowing of the nerve opening/ foraminal stenosis. This takes off pressure from a nerve in your spinal column and allows it to move more easily.  Foramina stenosis is when a bundle of nerve leaving the spinal cord through neural foramina which on becoming narrowed put pressure on your nerve. Post operatively usually a soft neck collar is advised. Usually one can drive within a week or 2 and back to light work after 4 weeks. The prognosis post operatively often leads to full or partial relief of symptoms. Future spine problems are possible for all patients after spine surgery particularly after multiple surgeries like foraminotomy and spinal fusion. If the pain is continuing as before, it could be the nerve damage due to preoperative compression. Discuss with your neurosurgeon about these possibilities. Hope this helps. Take care.
Thankyou for your comment. Is it normal for the occipital gland to be swollen after a foraminotomy. The gland below the skull toward the back of the head behind the ear on the left side is swollen. I can feel  a circular lump back there. I have no fever or any other symptoms besides the usual pain. Thank you again!