Neurology Forum

Panic Attacks and/with/or Simple Partial Seizure Possibly?

So I'm not sure if this is even possible (I've heard it isn't so sorry if this is wrong), but I've recently had a run in with panic attacks. Although it started out almost like a small seizure, I heard that conscious seizures like the one I think I may have experienced are called simple partial seizures, but it turned out to be more of a panic attack eventually. I had felt slight derealization (or maybe depersonalization, I can never tell the difference) on and off all day, then eventually it hit me hard. It looked and felt like the walls in my room were super close, the air looked stuffy, my arms and legs went numb, got a high-like feeling when I hadn't taken any drugs, and I was seeing some small things like tons of eye floaters and things twitching in the corners of my eye. Then the panic hit and my heart was pounding, my muscles wouldn't stop trembling, and I was having hot and cold flashes. I ended up hearing sirens that weren't there at some point, time was going by really fast, and it was just a frightening experience. I seriously thought I was sick and dying at some points, if this wasn't the first panic attack I've had then I would have been even more scared. I was up the entire night because of it.
I have not been diagnosed with seizures or panic disorder, but this is the second time this has ever happened. I did get into Cannabis for the first time about a month ago, but when I had a weed induced panic attack from smoking too much (very similar to what I experienced the other night) only after second time of using I decided not to touch it again as it really freaked me out. I'm almost positive I have had a small seizure before also, but it was a while back.
Was this a normal panic attack? Could I have given myself panic disorder from just that small drug use? (I'm not looking for a diagnosis, I just want some insight on what someone thinks about this so I know where to go next.)
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

You may have developed an anxiety disorder. Anxiety is a psychological and physiological condition with a multitude of symptoms. They include heart palpitations, muscle tension, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, and GI symptoms such as diarrhea to name a few. Anxiety can also be accompanied with panic attacks such as a feeling of impending doom or death. It seems that your symptoms do fit. However, there are types of seizures that can present with sense of panic/doom, but your symptoms do seem more psychiatric.  

I would recommend that you follow up with your primary care physician for further history and management. If there is concern that these may be epileptic, then obtaining an EEG capturing an event would be important.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease