Neurology Community
45k Members

Paresthesia of 4th/5th fingers and toes

23M

4 years ago I had paresthesia of left 4th/5th toe radiating up on lateral side of leg
In a few months I had the same paresthesia pattern over my right 4th/5th toes as well as 4th/5th fingers of both arms, though not as intense as that of the original left toes
The paresthesia is best described as a slight numbing (feels "different")
Physical function normal
Saw neurologist who conducted NCS, EMG and blood tests which came up normal

Over the last 4 years the paresthesia has gotten a little worse in my arms
Sometimes I get it around an eye
Daily function is unaffected
I only notice the paresthesia when I'm at rest

My former neurologist couldn't explain how both the 4th/5th toes and 4th/5th fingers were involved
Not sure if I should a neurologist again as the symptoms worsened only slightly in 4 years and the last battery of tests were normal

I realize that many things in neurology are idiosyncratic or due to anxiety but any info is appreciated
Thanks!
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. I would agree with the neurologist that the paraesthesia in the fingers and toes is unlikely to be related or due to a common cause. Possible causes that may need to be considered include stress/ anxiety, neuro-psychiatric causes, peripheral neuropathy, micronutrient deficiencies, infections/ inflammations, hormonal/ endocrine issues, heavy metal poisoning etc. Very mild/ early changes may or may not show up on the NCS/ EMG. You may consider a detailed evaluation by an internist or a neurologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!