Neurology Community
45k Members

Paresthesia

I am a 35 year old male from India.  My condition started with my left leg falling asleep around calf and foot.  This started on the 04/24/08 the day after I learned the I will be layed off in a month.  Mentioning this because it caused a little bit of stress.  Then the tingling/crawling feeling started in my left forearm, face (particularly around upper lip/nostril area), and scalp.  I saw my internist. He asked for some blood test and did some motor test.  The motor tests were ok.  The blood test showed low Vit D levels.  He prescribed 50,000 IU capsule once a week for 8 weeks.  As soon as I took the first dose that stopped my leg from falling asleep.  Also when I wake up in the morning my legs do not have any numbness anymore.  However,  I still have tingling in upper lip/nostril area and scalp that comes an goes.  It is not painful, feels like something is crawling on the skin.  A few times a day, I also feel sharp pain in my fingers.  Also some times, I feel pain jab simutaneosly in my pectoral muscles or ribs and legs (what's the correlation).  Also lately, if I keep my hand on the key board for extended periods I feel slight muscle twitch in shoulder or any strained muscle.  No muscle weakness, vision, or balance problems.  Most consistent is tingling in scalp....very annoying.  I am freaking out that it may be MS or some other neurological problem.  The paresthesia is more present if I am under stress.  I am thinking it may be a combination of anxiety and low Vitamin D. Can someone please inform me what kind of paresthesia is experienced in MS?
Hello saifk01,

It seems that you have associated with Vit D deficiency which is actually precipitating the neurological symptoms. I suggest consider assessment of serum calcium. It is unlikely that it is MS and continue with Vit D. It would take a couple of months for the results to be evident. However, consider checking up with the neurologist assessment.

Best