Parietal meningioma recovery

My mom was operated of right parietal meningioma on December 14 2009.
She has problems with:
-getting dressed and personal heygen
-orientation (she cant tell left from right)
-short term memory (sometimes she things an event that happened today, happened 2 weeks ago)
-math problems
-lethargy
-iritability
-no phisical problems

Her mengioma was 5 cm.Also there is some blod left after the operation but I've been told it doesnt press on the brain. Right after the operation her short term memory improved. Before the operation she would forget things after 10 second, I thin now it happenes after a couple of hours. Also, she can tell left from right yeasier now.

The doctors in my country told me she doesnt need rehabilitation and things should be done in the family. There is a nurse working with her right now but she is not specialised in this.

Questions:
1)Is the rehabilitation necesary and which are the specialist she should be seeing and things she should do
2) What are the chances of recovery and the timeline

Thank you
I can understand your worrying concerns about her post surgery recovery. Unfortunately, rehabilitation is the only effective way to help the patient regain function to the possible extent and prevent from permanent losses. If rehabilitation program is appropriately instituted, most of such patients can regain maximum functions with appropriate therapy, training and support services. For coordinated rehabilitation program a team of a neurologist, a physiotherapist, an occupational therapist and a speech-language pathologist, a nutritionist work together to help you in your recovery. Therefore, I would suggest following the suggestion made by them and recovery will be although slow but most of the functions may be restored. Hope this helps.

Actually the situation is different than you might think. I want her to have a good rehabilitation program.

The doctors in my country are very corupt so they lie get money out of people. So I had two appointments at the rehabilitation hospital and the doctor said: you need rehabilitation in any brain surgey, come again and we will set an appointment. The next time she said:rehabilitation is done only when she cant move a leg or arm.

I am aware of the neuropsyhiatry and the test and everything. I want to make sure she gets the right treatment and doesnt waste these 6 months.

Thats why I am asking her so I can make the deference between truth and real. I am looking around until I find the doctor that gives me the correct questions.

Also,

after the operation she has blood in that are where the meningioma was. But we were told it's not dangerous and we should just wait. Is this the truth?
Thank you for your question. Usually, in such situation investigations findings are extremely vital to give you a precise opinion. In addition, symptomatic treatment and wait and watch policy may be recommended by doctors, if it is not that severe. I would recommend that you take another neurologist opinion in order to confirm the previous doctor's opinion. Hope this helps.

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community