Neurology Community
45k Members

Peripheral Neuropathy-Vitamin B6 toxicity related?

I have been having problems with peripheral neuropathy in my toes for several years. Finally saw a neurologist....most tests were normal but my vitamin B6 level was 506 (normal range is 20-96). Neuro said 'dont worry about it'. But....I am concerned about the high level of B6 as it is very high! It looks like he will not be too much help for my neuropathy as I think his next idea is to medicate. I would rather find the root of the problem. Btw, I do not take B6 supplements.
Anyone have thoughts or experienced B6 toxicity? Not sure how to proceed.....or what else to look for.
Thanks for any input,
Janet
How are you?Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in many foods.  It  performs a wide variety of functions in the body and plays a role in cognitive development.  High intakes of vitamin B6 have not been reported to cause adverse effects. However,  chronic administration can cause severe and progressive sensory neuropathy characterized by loss of control of bodily movements. But these symptoms usually stop if the patient discontinues the pyridoxine supplements or diet sources. Talk to your doctor about this for proper management. Take care an do keep us posted.