Pilocytic astrocytoma/glioma

If someone has had chemotherapy treatments for the above mentioned (brain) tumor, does it mean he/she has cancer? I thought chemo is only to treat  "cancer" cells, however I've read an article that it, apparently, can also be used to treat non-cancerous cells. Pls clarify. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!  

Pilocytic astrocytoma and glioma are benign tumors of the brain and may or may not be cancerous which means these tumors generally do not spread to the neighboring organs or distant organs through blood. However in some cases distant metastasis were seen. In such patients chemotherapy and radiotherapy are given to limit the spread of the tumor and kill the tumor cells that have metastatized.
Chemotherapy does not kill the cancer cells but also affects the normal cells resulting in many side effects like hair loss and diarrhea.