Neurology Forum

Please help! Can my daughter have dementia at 26 years old?

I am a mother of a 26 year old who was previously healthy only a severe migraine  with aura sufferer but medication had episodes under control. Now shes worsened drastically for the past 2 yearns practically falling apart and says she feels like sheI don't even recognize herself, like a mild dementia.  Shenhad to take a leave from her career until she gets straightened out.  All her mris of brain and next and EEG  and blood work were normal,  clinically the drs say she has jo gait problems, and her reflexes are normal. The drs recomend the next step is having a spinal tap. She has been to huge university hospital and been to every specialist and no definative diagnosis yet. She is pretty much homebound and when she does go out she becomes very disoriented and symptoms worsen.   Usually drs think a woman is just a hypo or full of anxiety mental issues which mimic bad dieases, but my daughter was a successful women with no previous health or mental issues and she runs a low grade temperure constantly. But these symptoms are so bad there chronic and not episodic . She has developed  panic attacks which From the onset of due to such
fear of what going on. She describes this has a mild dementia,she complaims of not recognizing familiar people and things, but the drs gave her a nueropsyxh test in ehixh he said she scored average, but her vision becoming more blurred progressively too.  Her neck has been severly stiff in which was the start of all the symptoms to follow 2 years ago. She rashes alot as well, and only abnormal blood work was a high bilirubin, in which she doesn't drink so drs  think its just gilberts syndrome unrelated to these symptoms. Do you have any other perspextive bed ore we do a spinal tap which I really am concerned on having for her at this point. Any advice would be so appreciated!      
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Trouble with memory in younger people is uncommon, but there are causes. One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests.

Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say your daughter is crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Appropriate treatment (medical and/or behavioral) improves this.

Finally, certain people live into adulthood with thinking troubles that are later diagnosed as learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into adulthood.

There are several potentially treatable causes to your daughter’s symptoms. I strongly suggest you continue to share your concerns with her physician. A lumbar puncture may be appropriate given your daughter’s history and your concern.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease