Neurology Community
45k Members

Please read!!!

I will start off by telling you a little about me.  I am 22 years old, I have psoriasis that I did not develop until I was 18, I am 120 pounds, I do not diet and eat the right foods less then I should.  I have a history of depression [ major depression disorder] which runs in my family also anxiety.  I have not experiences these emotional issues in 4-5 years.  

* Well.  This whole experience started about 2 years ago.  I was having migraines, started off having a couple a month, then moved up to a 3-4 a month, and then I was having at least one a week.  I went to see my family doctor at the time and he gave me some medicine for the pain.  It worked a little bit I guess, but nothing drastic.  I was continuing to have migraines but decided that it was going to be something I would have to live with.
  A few months after the migraines started, I noticed my [left more than right] breast was "leaking" fluid that looked like breast milk.  I had never had children before and was quite freaked out at this new and odd symptom.  I now know that it is called galactorrhea.  I went back to my doctor 3-3 1/2 months after this started.  I think I waited so long because for 1.  I was SO embarrassed, and 2. I thought it would go away on its own.  My doctor was quite concerned with this and sent me for a whole array of blood work and told me he was concerned mostly with my prolactin levels as well as LH and FSH levels-->however I do not remember getting the results for LH or FSH<--  When my results came back, my prolactin levels were elevated so he sent me for an MRI.  I was living in Hamilton, Ontario during this whole experience.  
  Not too long after my MRI, I moved back to PEI to be with my family and continue my education.  The migraines had calmed down a lot, down to maybe 2-3 every 2 or 3 months and the galactorreah had stopped  I saw a neurologist here who was the nicest, most approachable person I think I have ever met.  He told me that there was a highlighted area in the right part of my brain [ do not remember what it was called exactly] and he told me the reason why my doctor was so concerned with the galactorreah was because it could be a sign of a pituitary tumor or microadenoma.   Obviously I was sort of taken off guard, which most of us are when we learn something is wrong with us.  He told me there was probably nothing to worry about but we still need to keep up with the blood work to test my hormone levels.  He also told me I would probably need to meet with an endocrinologist at some point and if the boob thing came back to go see my doctor.  That was over a year ago.  
  About 3 months ago my galactorreah came back and I realized that I had not heard anything from my family doctor here on PEI about keeping up with my blood work and all that great stuff.  I actually only phoned his office because I was trying to get health insurance through my spouse's work and after I asked for my report from the neurologist I had phoned back to make an appointment to talk with him about the symptom coming back. [I have not had a migraine in quite a while...6-7 months..*yay*] I had an appointment to get a requisition form to take to the hospital for my BW but the office phoned my grandmother and told them I needed to get BW ASAP and they faxed it to the hospital and I went to get it done the following day.  
  I went in to see my family doctor maybe a week after the BW  which was Aug. 3rd 2009 and he told me my prolactin levels were elevated and he wanted to test the LH and FSH levels again and send them right to my neurologist.  He wrote on the requisition form that they were looking for microadenoma. He also did a breast exam and I had told him my eyes were bothering me.  It is almost like they get really blurry for no reason and can last for a couple mins or hours.  Sometimes I feel really dizzy and as if I was going to faint.  Everything around me gets black and I sit down and try to chill out. * I wonder if I am just giving myself anxiety from worrying over this whole mess*.  He told me that could be a symptom and to let my neurologist know.  
  Ok, so we are pretty much up to date.  I phoned my neurology office the following Monday, which was the 11th I think and asked if they had received the BW and blablabla and asked if they had heard anything from my doctor about seeing the neuro again.  The secretary told me that the appointments are all based on the severity of the patients and the neuro himself makes the appointments.  Last time I went to see him, I waited 8 months for an appointment.  I have an appointment for October 1st AND the lovely woman on the phone told me he was trying to fit me in the last week of Sept. but couldn't so that was the earliest appointment.  
  So, I am pretty freaked out and I have checked out things online [which is probably not such a good idea] and is is possible that if I do have a pituitary tumor / microadenoma does that mean I will have to be on hormones for the rest of my life?  Does it mean I will be infertile? I know I shouldn't worry about these things until I get there, but I know some of you out there have gone through this or know someone who has.  I am pretty stressed out.  *

Anything you can say would help me out.  I don't really know why I posted this, but I am too introverted to sit down and express all this to someone in front of me.  I just needed to get it all out and go from there.  Thank you for reading my - extremely long - story.

-Megan