Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Porphyria and Low B12 any correlation?

I have PN of a sensory nature only. My B12 was also low. My Internist is now running a test for Porphyria.  
  Is there any correlation between low B12 and Porphyria?
  I guess they are checking for an ACQUIRED Porphyria? Any idea how one acquires it? or if there is a correlation between sensory pn, low b12 and Porphyria? I can't find any information indicating this?
  Thanks very much.
===========================================================================
Dear Dee:
I am unaware of any connection between porphyrias and vitamin B12 (or it's deficiency). Vit B12 does have a porphyrin-like chemical backbone, but that has no clinical relevance I know of.
Vit B12 deficiency causes a sensory neuropathy often along with a spinal cord problem, which commonly manifest as gait imbalance. Porphyria causes an acute predominantly motor neuropathy with severe weakness, but also with a lot of pain and autonomic dysfunction.
The only acquired porphyrias that occur with any frequency are porphyria cutanea tarda (with alcohol, liver diasease), and with lead toxicity.

0 Responses
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease