Neurology Community
45k Members

Possible MS in a 17 year old or is it undiagnosed CP?

My son is 17 years old and yesterday he revealed to me that he has a very hard time writing due to a "tremor" in his hand and he also shakes whenever he plays hockey.  He is also constantly tired, to the point where he wont leave the couch if he has nothing to do and suffers from frequent head aches, especially behind one eye.

He was born via vacuum extraction and was "blue" for a couple of seconds.  He didnt walk until he was 16 months and when he did it was on his tip toes.  He has been diagnosed with "Sensory Integration Disorder" and "PDD-NOS" in the past.  He had occupational therapy in elementary school.  Currently he is in JROTC and is an ice hockey goalie.

Seven years ago, I was diagnosed with MS, but 2 years later, the diagnosis was rescinded.   I was actually told that I probably had a mild case of CP.  I had a lot of his same symptoms and had coordination issues as well.  Maybe something genetic (I know CP isnt genetic)?

Any one out there have any experience or knowledge about someone this young with these symptoms.  He is being a typical teen and not wanting to go to the doctor.  UGH!!!  Guess I will have to bribe him!
Anyone out ther
Hi!
Shaky hands can be due to stress and anxiety, too much consumption of caffeine or alcohol, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), autoimmune disease like multiple sclerosis, thyroid disorders, hypertparathyroidism, low vitamin B12, nerve compression in lower cervical or upper thoracic veretbrae, and liver disease.
Since you also have similar symptoms, hyperthyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, liver disease, vitamin B12 deficiency, and autoimmune conditions should be ruled out. Also, since he is a teenager, you must check on his caffeine intake (tea, coffee, cola etc). Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.