Neurology Forum

Question

I am 29 years old and for about a year and a half now I have experienced left sided numbness in my left arm and left leg, (numbness is the best word to describe it, thought it is a wierd sensation).  I do not get weak in those limbs nor do I lose any usage.  I have seen two neurologists, both said they were probably a migraine equivilant and not to worry about them.  I have had an MRI which was normal and read by both of the Docs.  I also had an EMG test on my left side which was normal.  I rarely have headaches and have never had any kind of altered mental state from these.  I have no real medical history and all of my vitals are normal.  I take bystolic for palpitations, omeprazole of GERD and occasionally Lorazapam for anxiety.  

My question is that here recently I have started having similar sensations on my right side.  Again, no weakness, but the wierd sensations.  It is more pronounced in my right leg than in my arm.  I was wondering if since it is a migraine equivilant if it could switch sides just like somebodies headache might?  

Thanks,

Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Numbness could be due to multiple causes. Some causes can be nutritional (such as a vitamin deficiency) or autoimmune (such as Lupus or Sjogrens) or toxins (lead) to name a few.

One major cause of whole body numbness is related to emotional/psychiatric problems related to stress. These are true medical conditions whereby instead of a patient experiencing depression or anxiety, they experience physical symptoms, and once the stress is addressed, the symptoms resolve. Fibromyalagia is another medical condition that leads to whole body pains, and is best treated with medications such as lyrica and neurontin, exercise, and physical therapy.

However, since your numbness has traveled, it could be migraines or even a seizure (but less likely). Migraines can present with many different findings. But if the numbness is constant, I would think less likely of these causes. Also, strokes in the thalamus can cause sensory changes. Thus, it would be important to evaluate this with an MRI of the brain.

You should continue working with your physician. You may benefit from an MRI of the brain if you have not had one.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease