Neurology Forum

Questioning Daughter's Diagnoses

My daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy 1 month ago. She was started on Keppra but would still have break though absence seizures. Last week she got a strep infection in a cut and was hospitalized with IV antibiotics, she is now home and continuing on antibiotics. Since she has started the antibiotics ahe has had NO breakthrough seizures of seizure symptoms. What should I do? Do you think she may have something else and not epilepsy?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Typically stressors, such as infection, will cause patients with epilepsy to have a breakthrough seizure. It is impossible for me to say whether your daughter has epilepsy or not. I would recommend that you discuss your concern with your child’s pediatric neurologist.  

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease