Neurology Community

Questions about neuropathy

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with what my doctor called juvenile-onset small-fiber polyneuropathy, which affected my autonomic nerves mostly. I started getting headaches, GI problems (frequent nausea, diarrhea, etc), blood pressure and heart rate abnormalities (including dizziness and fainting upon standing), tingling in my toes and fingers, discoloration (a darker shade of skin to near purple) in the toes, and loss of feeling in fingers and toes. Now, about a year later, the loss of feeling is up to about my waist and elbows, there is severe pain on my skin, and the autonomic dysfunction is worse (headaches nearly every day). I currently take amitriptyline, 25mg daily for the nerve pain, and acetaminophen (1000mg extra-strength or 1300 extended-release), ibuprofen (800mg), and naproxen sodium (660mg) as needed. (I'm aware the naproxen sodium is higher than normal, my pain management doctor wanted to get every last drop out of regular painkillers before going into prescription/narcotic analgesics)

The condition is suspected to be autoimmune, and we are going to begin IVIG as soon as insurance allows. However, if it isn't autoimmune, what could it be? (Not asking for a diagnosis, just other possibilities)

Also, how far will it progress? My mother, who agrees with the autoimmune theory, says that my condition is similar to lupus, in that it will eventually stop worsening at a certain point, then getting a little better, then back to the aforementioned certain point, never progressing past said point. Could it progress further and further?

Last question, I promise; Could this eventually involve my motor nerves? It currently is damaging sensory and autonomic (mostly autonomic, as evidenced by the autonomic symptoms, but with sensory damage, as indicated in the pain and numbness), but could it eventually cause motor neuropathy?

Thank you very much for your help!