Neurology Forum

Re: Femoral nerve damage following surgery

Posted By Bill  on March 15, 1999 at 11:27:26:

In Reply to: Femoral nerve damage following surgery posted by CCF Neurology W6 MD on March 10, 1999 at 11:03:56:

: Following emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix and a very complicated post-op course which included the placement of abdominal drains and renal dialysis ,I am left with a complete paralysis of may left quadracept muscle. I cannot move my leg at all.
: I would like to know the differential diagnosis,the frequency,and the proper procedures for evaluating this kind of injury.
: If anyone would care to hazard a prognosis on the limited information available,I would like to know what the odds are that I will regain use of my leg. It has been two months since the operation. Thank you for your time

Hi Bill,
thank you for your question, it's an important one, and I will try to be systematic in my answer.
Injury to the femoral nerve is a recognized complication during abdominal, pelvic, inguinal and hip operations. The most common surgical cause associated with femoral nerve injury has been abdominal hysterectomy, (7.5-10% incidence quoted). I don't have the number for appendectomy but I'm sure the figure is lower.
The nerve usually is inadvertently damaged (either cut, snared by suture, stretch or pressure from retractors) during the procedure. Post op complication such as a large blood clot (iliacus hematoma) can also injure the nerve. Infection (abscess) my develop post op and cause injury.
Other causes of femoral nerve injury/problem include:lithotomy position,
trauma(bullet and stab wound, hip and pelvic fractures), tumors, diabetes.
In your case it is important to know when the weakness occur, right away, soon after surgery or delayed (such as hematoma or abscess formation)
The most useful test is an EMG of not only your quadriceps muscles but also other muscles in the area in search of involvement outside the femoral nerve territory. A nerve conduction study may be helpful too.
If you have not been evaluated by a neurologist and EMG/NCS, then you should talk to your doctor. The prognosis is dependent on the cause and the extent of the injury.
If a complete laceration of the nerve is suspected, exploration and suturing of the nerve are indicated. In lesser injuries, it is best to await spontaneous recovery for a few weeks.
The EMG should be done after at least 3 weeks after the surgery/onset of the weakness. What kind of improvement if any have you noticed since then?
I'm very much interested in learning about your case and the results of your EMG. Please don't hesitate to post updates.
If youlive near Cleveland and would like to be evaluated here at CCF, please call 1-800-CCF CARE.
key words: femoral neuropathy, EMG, leg weakness

HI Bill,
It's good to see that you haven't posted anything,
I hope that you talked to your doctor.If you havent, DO IT NOW....
You really should be seen by a neurologist ASAP and have EMG/NCS done ASAP.
As I mentioned on my previous posting, it's extremely important
to study your problem as you may require a surgery to
repair the nerve. Good luck to you.
Please post some follow up information.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease