Neurology Forum

Re: Is it epilepsy?

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on November 29, 1998 at 08:28:36:

In Reply to: Is it epilepsy? posted by Elizabeth on November 29, 1998 at 00:14:49:

Are there any type of epileptic seizures in which you are able to partially recall voices around you during the seizures? My neurologist thinks I have complex seizures even though the EEG is negative but he says there is usually no memory during a seizure. He also mentioned pychogenic seizures but after talking about it he says I have none of typical characteristics. I would apreciate your opinion on this matter.  
Dear Elizabeth:
Sorry to hear about your problems.  Yes, there are a group of epilepsies that one can remain conscious and recall voices, questions, and even answer questions that are asked.  The person is completely responsive during the seizure.  There are other types of epilepsy that a person will have no recall of what happened.  There are some epilepsies that one forgets recent events.  So, you can have seizures and still retain recall of voices.  The EEG will not always define epilepsy or seizure activity when a person is in their normal state.  So, you can have a normal EEG and still have seizures.  Sometimes it takes up to 3 or 4 EEGs before seizure activity is seen on the EEG.  I hope that this answers your question.  If you any further questions, do not hesitate to write back.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease