Neurology Forum

Re: Is this a seizure or craziness?

Posted By Giselle on July 10, 1998 at 00:53:07:

In Reply to: Re: Is this a seizure or craziness? posted by CCF NSG MD /gsh on July 08, 1998 at 10:50:20:

I've had 8 to 10 grand mal seizures over the last 12 years. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. In the last week, though, I've experienced five episodes which make no sense to me. My right arm begins twitching at the fingertips and then spreads up my arm so that the arm begins jerking uncontrollably. During this time I actually vomit, but there is no nausea to warn
that it's coming. It's over in less than a minute, but whoever heard of being consciously aware that something like this is happening and being unable to do anything about it? I'm afraid to mention it to my neurologist for fear that it's some weird psychosomatic thing that I should be ashamed of allowing to persist. I have MS and am taking Tegretol. The only new medication
I'm taking since before this began is Klonopin. Could it be some sort of interaction, or have I finally parted with what's left of my sanity?
__

: __

: Dear Giselle,
No, you are not crazy.  What you describe may be what is called a Jacksonian
seizure in that it 'marches' up your arm.  Your neurologist needs to know
about this, especially since it is a change in your normal seizure frequency
and a change in the seizure characteristics.  He may choose to follow with
further studies such as an EEG and an MRI.  It may be simply that your Tegretol
level is low.  Best to let him know.
Thank you very much for the kind response and assurance regarding my sanity quotient. Neuro didn't think I was crazy either. Since it's been a few years, he's going to do a repeat EEG. My Tegretol level was actually too high, and he feels this could be responsible for the new problem along with recent general anesthesia. Go figure! Anyway, thank you.
Thank you for your kind response and words of reassurance regarding my sanity. Saw the neurologist, who is going to do a repeat EEG since it's been awhile.
Good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease