Neurology Forum

Re: Nocturnal Seizure Disorder

Posted By Kathy on April 16, 1998 at 18:09:17:

In Reply to: Re: Nocturnal Seizure Disorder posted by peds neuro md bm on April 13, 1998 at 16:48:19:

My 17 year-old son has had two grand mal seizures upon falling asleep within the last 8 months.  The first occured last August,and the second occured in January.  He has had an MRI, which showed nothing abnormal.  He had a sleep deprived EEG.  This showed a little seizure activity in the two front lobes of his brain when he was in the transition from being awake to falling asleep.  There was no seizure activity while awake or while in a deep sleep.  The two seizures he has had both lasted for one to two minutes, the last one being a little shorter and less severe. Based on the results of the EEG, the neurologist said that any subsequent seizures he might have would most likely be during the transition of falling asleep.  Because of this, my son has chosen not to take any medication.  The neurologist was supportive of his decision, so long as the frequency and nature of the seizures do not change. We are trying to find a balance through the use of supplements.  He is taking a couple of homeopathic cell salts which are indicated for seizures.  He has started taking Manganese daily for the same reason.  Do you know of any other means of controlling seizures besides the typical anti-convulsants?  My sons seizures have been few and far between at this point.  What is a lilely scenario? Will this pattern remain steady?  Will he outgrow them as he matures?  Are they likely to become more frequent?  My guess is that seizure disorders are so varied that no one can really answer these questions! Is there a general trend in how such disorders progress or disappear?    
dear kathy,
a little more information would be helpful such as:
1. are there any preciptating factors to the seizures?
2. is he awake late at night on the days he has had the seizures?
3. he is on any medications?
4. any history of drug or alcohol use?
5. has he only had 2 seizures?
6. over what period of time these these two seizures occur?
7. has he had other seizure types: staring episodes, single/multiple jerks, etc.
The answer to the first four questions is no.  He has had only two seizures, one last August and one in January. He was not overly tired on either occasion.  They both occured around 10 p.m. He has not shown any other seizure activity. There is no histoy of epilepsy in the family.
in terms of your question will he outgrow them, at this point it is
diffciult to say so until all the facts are available. There is a
syndrome of grand mal seizures upon awakening which is a rare syndrome
and controlled with medication, it also runs in families.
once you give me the information I may be able to answer your questions
appropriately.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease