Neurology Forum

Re: What could it possibly be????

Posted By debby on June 23, 1998 at 08:51:06:

In Reply to: Re: What could it possibly be???? posted by CCF MD GS on June 23, 1998 at 08:10:41:

For the last few months, I have been waking up at night{several times} and
my left hand and fingers are "asleep". It takes me a long time to wake
them up, and get them to work properly.
Last week, I woke up ...but my fingers did not!!. My small"pinky"
finger feels like it is dead or made of rubber. Once in a while I will
feel a tingling pain in it, like it is trying to "wake up". My ring finger
is in a constant state of tinkling and burning. The left side of my palm
is now starting to tingle and burn, and has lost most of the feeling in it.
Recently, I had a graying out while driving, and it felt as though many
parts of my body went numb, but the feelings returned within a couple of
minutes. My left leg has started getting the shakes when I walk too much,
or exercise. {Sometimes, even when sitting in taffic with the clutch down.}
I am a 40 year old female, good health{I think}, but my family history
consists of many stroke victims.
It seems also that I have been having alot of headaches, but I guess that
could be stress related due to a lay off from work, and worrying over
everything.
Could this numbing and graying sensation be related in any way?
And what could it possibly be?
Any help would be appreciated right now.
Debby

=
Thankd for the questions Debby. The numbness that you are having in your left hand sounds very much like carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a condition that affects the median nerve as it crosses under a ligament in the palm. Diagnosis is made by history and physical examination along with an EMG (Electromyogramphy) study.  Wrist splints at night can be very helpful initially. The graying out that you are having sounds more like a near syncopal (passing out) type reaction and I'm not sure the two events are related but it should be investigated. Are you eating regularly?  I'm not sure about the shaking in your leg but you have enough neurologic complaints that you should be evaluated by a neurologist to determine if further testing is required.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes. Please consult your doctor for diagnostic and treatment options.
Many thanks for the help. Since the numbness has now traveled to my whole left arm, and the side of my face is tingling and burning also, I will be seeking some medical attention. I have had two more graying out episodes, both accompanied by severe headaches just following the episodes. Again , Thank you very much.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease