Neurology Forum

Re: numbness of chin and lip after dental work

Posted By Eeyore on August 30, 1998 at 14:05:01:

In Reply to: numbness of chin and lip after dental work  posted by Madeleine on August 29, 1998 at 19:08:32:

I went to the dentist for a routine filling in a lower left tooth. She began to numb the area and I felt what seemed like an electric shock to the tip of my tongue. She proceeded with the injection despite another "shock" and gave me a second injection as well. My whole left side of my face, including my ear, was numb for about 6 hours. My chin, lip and teeth on the left side are still numb 10 days later. An oral surgeon told me it was nerve damage that may or may not resolve itself and could take months to subside. I have been putting warm compresses on my chin and taking ibuprofen (Advil) 2 tabs, 3 times a day for the last 5 days. What can I do to hasten recovery, if anything, and what questions should I be asking my doctor? Thank you!
Hello, If you would like some information about trigeminal neuralgia you can join the trigeminal neuralgia e-mail support group.
This will get you started by identifying how to subscribe.

1. To SUBSCRIBE, send an email to ***@****
and in the body of the message, type the line
      SUB TN-L 'YOUR NAME'
e.g. Eeyore would subscribe by sending the message
      SUB TN-L Eeyore
2. To send messages after subscribing to TN-L send emails to
TN-***@****

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease