Neurology Forum

Re: stroke

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on April 13, 1999 at 23:22:46:

In Reply to: stroke posted by kd on April 13, 1999 at 20:17:20:

: Two years ago I had a carotid artery surgery which resulted in a severe brain hemmorhage  which has left me with little use of my right side.  Sept. of last year I had an ultrasound of the same artery and it showed 50% blockage.  The only medication I am on is an aspirin a day.  I feel treatment should more aggressive considering the severity of my previous CVA.  Also, I am wondering if your hospital takes medicare.  I will be eligible in July of this year.  I am really scared that something is going to happen with either this artery or another, I have two others that are blocked, too.  I have seen two neurologists and neither have offered a course of treatment that I am satisfied with.  What would you think a good  prevention treatment would be? Thank you,Kay

Dear Kay:
Sorry to hear about your stroke.  The data suggests that aspirin a day is enough treatment for your condition.  I know that it sounds like you should have treatment such a coumadin but since you only have 50% blockage, the aspirin is the best choice.  If you have comorbid atrial fibrillation then coumadin would be the medication of choice.  How is the other carotid?  Yes, CCF
takes medicare.  From what you tell on the posting, aspirin is the choice for your condition and state of occlusion.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD

I am not a doctor.  Just a person like yourself.  I have not had a stroke and I do have more occlusion than you cite but I understand your fear.  My doctors suggested that I take Vitamin E and Folic Acid to assist in plaque prevention.  I don't know if this is something your doctor would suggest or the amounts he/she would suggest but I thought I would put it out there for you.  It is very hard not "doing" something to prevent such a fearsome thing.  Maybe the Neuro, here, will have a comment.
kd

Dear kd:
The antioxidant vitamin E certainly will not harm you.  Whether it will help prevent further plaque formation has not been proven in any clinic studies.  Certainly it will help in detoxification and this will help retard the effects of prolonged oxidative damage.  One would think that it might help at the plaque surface.  As far as folic acid, this might help the electron transport chain efficiency as an electron donor.  In conjunction with vitamin B12 it might also help lower the homocysteine level and therefore the chance for stroke and MI.  Both will not harm you and may give you some benefit.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD

Follow Ups:

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease