Neurology Community
45k Members

SPECT scan

My 19 year old adopted daughter is struggling with "launching" issues.  She has an extensive history from birth (may have been prenatal substance abuse but no confirmation) with various medical and behavioral health diagnoses, including ADHD, sensory integration disorder, OCD, ODD, bipolar, attachment disorder and a variety of memory and learning disabilities.  Was a special ed student from K-12, has been on various meds over the years and is now fairly stable on Ritalin and Abilify.  She graduated HS, but has not been able to handle community college or consistent jobs, and is now "stuck", depressed, and very afraid of being a grown-up.  She is seeing a "life coach" who is a family therapist who suggests neurofeedback as a possible avenue to help her move forward.  She has now recommended that we obtain a SPECT scan.  What will this entail?  What would they be looking for, and how would they use this information to plan appropriate medical/psychological treatment?
I've read about the SPECT scan.  Have you heard of Dr. Amen from California?  His website is www.brainplace.com   A woman who worked with him opened her own SPECT scanning business in Texas as well.  Dr. Amen has a book and his research reflects that he believes that people with mental disabilities have a hard time coping with the guilt of taking medications and by using the SPECT scan an image of your brain is produced and physical evidence helps patients in diagnosing such disorders as OCD, ADHD, bipolar, and others.  This is my understanding of the process:  the test is performed, on a different day the results are given with diagnosis and medication suggestions, depending on the diagnosis they use natural medicines, but will prescibe pharmaceiticuals.  At that point a follow-up appointment is made as well as a future scan will be scheduled and I believe the medication will reflect if treatment is working or not.  I would check out the website.  Your daughter is lucky to have you as her advocate.  Not all children get the help they so desperately need.  Is the life coach giving her behavioral counseling?