Neurology Community

Scared of ALS

I am 35 yr old female and I suffer from anxiety. I started Zoloft November 13 and the very next day my hands were aching. Stayed on it till December 3. I have had hand cramping twice. Have noticed muscle twitching all over random places and I believe I strained a muscle in my right shoulder. I have not noticed any weakness. As I try and lift my kids and do push ups to ensure no muscle loss. My anxiety is so high I am so scared I have ALS even though I know if I do I can't do anything about it. For the past two days the muscle in my right arm has been stiff and tight. I noticed in my forearm I have some muscle spasms towards my elbow. I am scheduled for an EMG of my hands on Thursday by my PCP regarding the aching in my hands. I was going to ask for an EMG in all limbs. Does this sound like ALS?Symptoms didn't start till November 13. Can ALS present like this? Please assist. Thank you for your Time
Hi.  I would guess if you were successfully treated for your anxiety you would not have so much cramping and stiffness.  My guess is your muscles are tightening in response to anxiety which you are probably unaware.  Try doing gentle stretches and warm baths to relax the muscles daily.  Nothing that you have stated points to ALS.  Everybody is afraid of ALS (and other diseases). Anxiety can become debilitating and can make our physical body feel wonky.  Work on getting on an anxiety medication as well as having a complete physical exam.  Different mineral deficiencies can cause your symptoms too.