Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.3k Members

Scared of ALS

I am 35 yr old female and I suffer from anxiety. I started Zoloft November 13 and the very next day my hands were aching. Stayed on it till December 3. I have had hand cramping twice. Have noticed muscle twitching all over random places and I believe I strained a muscle in my right shoulder. I have not noticed any weakness. As I try and lift my kids and do push ups to ensure no muscle loss. My anxiety is so high I am so scared I have ALS even though I know if I do I can't do anything about it. For the past two days the muscle in my right arm has been stiff and tight. I noticed in my forearm I have some muscle spasms towards my elbow. I am scheduled for an EMG of my hands on Thursday by my PCP regarding the aching in my hands. I was going to ask for an EMG in all limbs. Does this sound like ALS?Symptoms didn't start till November 13. Can ALS present like this? Please assist. Thank you for your Time
1 Responses
562511 tn?1285904160
Hi.  I would guess if you were successfully treated for your anxiety you would not have so much cramping and stiffness.  My guess is your muscles are tightening in response to anxiety which you are probably unaware.  Try doing gentle stretches and warm baths to relax the muscles daily.  Nothing that you have stated points to ALS.  Everybody is afraid of ALS (and other diseases). Anxiety can become debilitating and can make our physical body feel wonky.  Work on getting on an anxiety medication as well as having a complete physical exam.  Different mineral deficiencies can cause your symptoms too.  
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease