A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members
14326215 tn?1433960165

Seizure and FLAT LINING after blood drawn

I am 22 years old and ever since I was around 10 years old I started having this episodes after getting shots or my blood taken. I would have seizures and it scared the h-e-l-l out of me. I am fine until I start feeling my blood go thru my body....the ER told me its kind of like when a possum gets scared its body reacts and plays dead. They said my veins dilate and my body shuts down to protect it from the needle being inside me.
I hardly ever go to the doctors office to get a shot or blood taken, but 2 years ago I was rushed to the ER because I was in pain for another reason and when they were taking my blood I was fine..talking to my mom like normal hoping I had grown out of the seizures. Then the next thing I know I'm waking up with my room full of doctors and nurses IVY in my arm, oxygen in my nose, and my mom crying her eyes out. I asked what had happened and she told me that I had passed out from the needle and flat lined this time....I had NEVER been so scared in my life.
....I guess my question is what do I do and what is it called? The ER literally said they don't know.
1 Responses
144586 tn?1284669764
For starters, you never "flat-lined" or you wouldn't be posting here.  As to exactly what happened, from the information you provided it is impossible to determine. In the future close your eves during the blood-drawing procedure.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease