Neurology Community
45k Members

Seizure and FLAT LINING after blood drawn

I am 22 years old and ever since I was around 10 years old I started having this episodes after getting shots or my blood taken. I would have seizures and it scared the h-e-l-l out of me. I am fine until I start feeling my blood go thru my body....the ER told me its kind of like when a possum gets scared its body reacts and plays dead. They said my veins dilate and my body shuts down to protect it from the needle being inside me.
I hardly ever go to the doctors office to get a shot or blood taken, but 2 years ago I was rushed to the ER because I was in pain for another reason and when they were taking my blood I was fine..talking to my mom like normal hoping I had grown out of the seizures. Then the next thing I know I'm waking up with my room full of doctors and nurses IVY in my arm, oxygen in my nose, and my mom crying her eyes out. I asked what had happened and she told me that I had passed out from the needle and flat lined this time....I had NEVER been so scared in my life.
....I guess my question is what do I do and what is it called? The ER literally said they don't know.
For starters, you never "flat-lined" or you wouldn't be posting here.  As to exactly what happened, from the information you provided it is impossible to determine. In the future close your eves during the blood-drawing procedure.