Neurology Community
45k Members

Seizures, Dizziness, Vomiting...

Hello All,

My sister, who is 26 years old, suffers from seizures, dizziness, headaches, feeling pressure in her head.

She went to the Emergency Room on June 2012 and the doctor did a CAT Scan and a EEG and found nothing.  They gave her meds and sent her home.  So far, the medicine isn't working.

She then went to a neurologist and the doctor performed a MRI and a sleep apnea test.  Within the MRI, he found a small cyst on the brain.  She asked what did he want to do with that. He said that it should eventually dissolve.  Surgery would be too critical.  The sleep apnea turned out to be normal.  He changed her medication 3 to 4 times where she had meds for seizure, head pains, and faint spells.

As of now, the medicine still does not work and the neurologist can't find the cause of the issues.

I did some research and I think it is the cyst that is giving her problems.  http://www.webmd.com/brain/brain-tumors-in-adults?page=2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Seizure activity is diagnosed by EEG. If the EEG has seizure (convulsions) activity, it means that electrical activity is initiated in the brain which results in convulsions. Repeated convulsions can cause hypoxemia (decreased oxygen) supply to the brain, hence they need to be controlled. Iit can be controlled with medications. She may just need constant evaluation to see that the medication is adequate and there are no untoward side effects.

If the cyst detected in the MRI and depending on its position, if it is causing compressive symptoms then therapy can be planned. So if it not causing any symptoms now, then the neurologist is likely to wait and watch. It needs monitoring at intervals to see that it is not getting bigger or causing compressive symptoms. So, please don't worry and follow up with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.