Neurology Community

Severed abdominal nerve, is repair possible?

I am a 24 year old male. Back when I was 14 I underwent a nephrectomy of the left kidney for wilms tumor. The 9" incision was made along the underside of my ribcage withresult being that my abdominal muscles on my left side are flaccid (no tone).

The underlying muscle is still healthy as I can easily perform situps. However, I do get a weird prickly sensation at times. A neurogist performed a test that was kind of like ultrasound with a needle (EMG, I believe). The lack of static noise on the left side near the surface (there was a signal when the needle was pushed deeper) indicated that there was a lack of nerve activity in the outerlayer of muscle.

Being that the deeper muscle is still functioning, he concluded that the main peripheral nerve is intact, however he was unsure it branches were cut or scarred. One doctor told me that the surface muscle was completely metabolised by the body. If this is true, why was there substancial flaccid tissue that didn't produce a nerve signal, but at the same time was not fat?

Do you have any recommendations on how I can restore nerve function on the surface muscle? Are there alternative treatments that you could unofficially recommend? Electroacupuncture?

Thank you for any assistance that you can lend.