Neurology Community

Sharp pain and pressure in my head.

I have been experiencing some sharp sudden pains in my head. It's always in the same stop. The front left hand side. It feels almost like a brain freeze and when it happens I have to actually stop whatever I am doing let the pain pass and then I can continue my task. When I get this pain it is also accompanied by a great pressure. I have a dull headache almost everyday and I am afraid to go get this checked out. About 4 years ago I had an allergic reaction to some muscle relaxors which caused me to have swelling of the brain and now I have 3 spots on my brain from it. I am terrified that if I go to get this checked they are going to give me some horrible news that I can't deal with. I am a mother of six 3 step, 3 mine :) and I need to be here to take care of my children and my husband. Please let me know what could be going on with me.

Sharp pain in the head which comes and goes raises the suspicion of neuralgia. Neuralgias are a type of headaches where a  sharp shooting pains occur which typically last for 2-120 seconds and are followed by a dull ache later on. These neuralgias can be triggered by cold air, or even sneezing or head movement.
I would suggest you to please get yourself checked as soon as possible in the interest of your children and husband. Let me know if you need more information. Take care!

Could this pain cause death?

Neuralgias are neuropathic pain disorders.
Application of alternating ice and heat packs, managing stress, avoiding too much tea, coffee, balanced diet and exercise will help to some extent.
Also there are specific medications available for this type of pain but first and foremost a diagnosis is what is required. Please relax and schedule an appointment with your doctor. Take care!

Dear amohelp,

Why are you thinking about death? Please do not burden you mind with unnecesary thoughts.

I can understand you are anxious and it is difficult to control you thoughts when you are anxious. But what is the best course of action? Leaving it aside or ignoring it is not going to improve the situation. You have to pass through the process of testing and facing any result. And the best part of this process is that it will make you stronger.

Go ahead.